From: Christopher Muto on
n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
> On Jun 28, 10:13 pm, Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
>>
>>> I had bought a Inspiron 530 with a DELL 19" Wide Flat Panel monitor. I
>>> had connected it via digital cable and it worked perfectly fine.
>>> Today it stopped working. When I boot my computer, it flashes
>>> "entering power save mode". It works in analog mode fine.
>>> I am unable to figure what the problem is. Any suggestions what has
>>> gone wrong and what I can do to set it right. I hope it is not a
>>> hardware failure.
>> do you have both digital and analog cables connected to the monitor?
>> you can only use one or the other, not both.
>> is it a e193fp or e193fpb? is the power button solid amber, flashing
>> amber, or something else when it is in the non-working state?
>
> I have both the cables and when digital connection was not working I
> removed the digital cable and used analog. Analog works but what not
> digital. It was working in the morning and since then nothing has
> changed.

i don't think you are giving us the full picture (no pun intended). if
you are talking about a computer that has both a vga and dvi port and
connecting them alternatively to the monitor via the respective port
then you have to power cycle the computer before it will send a signal
to the other port - the primary video is determined during post and the
unused port is disabled for the session.
From: n o s p a m p l e a s e on
On Jun 29, 4:40 am, Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

> >> do you have both digital and analog cables connected to the monitor?
> >> you can only use one or the other, not both.
> >> is it a e193fp or e193fpb?  is the power button solid amber, flashing
> >> amber, or something else when it is in the non-working state?
>
> > I have both the cables and when digital connection was not working I
> > removed the digital cable and used analog. Analog works but what not
> > digital. It was working in the morning and since then nothing has
> > changed.
>
> i don't think you are giving us the full picture (no pun intended).  if
> you are talking about a computer that has both a vga and dvi port and
> connecting them alternatively to the monitor via the respective port
> then you have to power cycle the computer before it will send a signal
> to the other port - the primary video is determined during post and the
> unused port is disabled for the session.- Hide quoted text -

Well, Let me make another attempt.

The computer was connected to monitor through digital cable and it
worked fine. Yesterday, in the afternoon when I booted the machine, it
immediately went into the power saving mode as seen from the monitor
screen. I pressed the power on switch for sometime and it shut down
and then I again booted to meet the same fate i.e. entering into power
saving mode. I then again shut down by pressing the power on switch
for sometime and then removed the digital cable and connected the
monitor to computer through analog cable and it worked.

This is the total story. I am unable to understand what went wrong. My
default setting has been that never go to power saving mode but it
does. It enters power saving mode immediately as soon as the computer
is booted.
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> > It works in analog mode fine.

> I see nothing on my monitor. How can I update driver?

Use the analog connector on the display?

Updating your graphics driver isn't likely to help if you never see
anything on the display (not even the computer's startup tests or your
operating system's startup screen).

It would be really, really unlikely that your display would end up
working only halfway. Therefore, I'd suspect that the video card or
your digital signal cable has a problem. Try the display with another
computer having a suitable video output to be sure.

William
From: Christopher Muto on
n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
> On Jun 29, 4:40 am, Christopher Muto <m...(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

>>> I have both the cables and when digital connection was not working I
>>> removed the digital cable and used analog. Analog works but what not
>>> digital. It was working in the morning and since then nothing has
>>> changed.
>> i don't think you are giving us the full picture (no pun intended). if
>> you are talking about a computer that has both a vga and dvi port and
>> connecting them alternatively to the monitor via the respective port
>> then you have to power cycle the computer before it will send a signal
>> to the other port - the primary video is determined during post and the
>> unused port is disabled for the session.- Hide quoted text -

> Well, Let me make another attempt.
>
> The computer was connected to monitor through digital cable and it
> worked fine. Yesterday, in the afternoon when I booted the machine, it
> immediately went into the power saving mode as seen from the monitor
> screen. I pressed the power on switch for sometime and it shut down
> and then I again booted to meet the same fate i.e. entering into power
> saving mode. I then again shut down by pressing the power on switch
> for sometime and then removed the digital cable and connected the
> monitor to computer through analog cable and it worked.
>
> This is the total story. I am unable to understand what went wrong. My
> default setting has been that never go to power saving mode but it
> does. It enters power saving mode immediately as soon as the computer
> is booted.

that is a good description of the situation. but one thing is still not
clear. when you connected the monitor to the inspiron 530 via the
analog connection did it start in windows in a lower resolution? a
monitor working via one port but not the other is not impossible but it
is unlikely. a failing video card not working in high resolution (or
color depth) but working in low is common. also, an windows update for
the video driver possibly collected via windows update could in fact
install a wrong or incompatible driver for the video card and that may
have taken effect upon a restart which would be consistent with turning
off a working computer one day and turning on a defective one the next.
you could try to roll back the video driver by going into device
manager, viewing the video graphic card and selecting to roll back the
driver. if there isn't one to roll back to then this obviously did not
ever change.