From: happyhacker on

I have disabled the router DHCP. If I do ipconfig /all (after restarting
it) on the server amongst the stuff is: DHCP Enabled = no. I have
restarted a PC on the network (server has no PCs connected yet) and it
seems to have a correct address 192.168 3 x. Is the DHCP server really
off and is so how do I start it?

Note I have only just loaded SBS2008 on the server so little config has
been done. Slowly does it!

--
happyhacker
happyhacker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/188993.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: james_911 on

The ICS service needs to be stopped and disabled on the Windows-based
computer providing the leases; doing this disables the DHCP allocator
for ICS.

TO DISABLE THE ICS SERVICE, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Services.
- Right-click Internet Connection Sharing, and then click Properties.
- Under Startup Type, click Disabled.
- Under Service Status, click Stop.
- Click OK and close the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

More information 'here' (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263217).

--
james_911
james_911's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/37434.htm

From: happyhacker on

Well, I went into the server management and that way discovered DHCP
server was ON. I have no PCs connected yet (or users) but the PCs are
receiving an IP address on startup. I think it was my error doing
"ipconfig /all" on the server where the "DHCP" was shown to be off on
the internal and tunnel adaptors. Not sure of the relevance of these.

Am I right here or something else to configure?

From: super soaker on

While you disable your DHCP server, your clients are unlikely to loose
their IP information. Leases are usually configured to be eight days.
You could force all your clients to renew them before your start off
with the SBS installation. I am not positive, but I believe that SBS2008
can automatically turn off the DHCP server on certain routers. But
certainly if it can�t turn off the DHCP server for you, it will remind
you to do it yourself.

--
super soaker
super soaker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/16788.htm