From: d. rahim on
I don't know if this is the right group, but this is the error message
I keep getting:
"C:\windows\system32\COMres.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check
this against your installation diskette."
What does this mean? Do I have to reinstall Windows XP SP1? It's an
annoying little box
& there's another DLL error message that comes up with it sometimes. Are
there any fixes
for this or will I have to transfer all my important files to another
computer & then wipe
this one clean?
From: Unk on
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:17:27 -0500, "d. rahim" <drahim1122(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> I don't know if this is the right group, but this is the error message
>I keep getting:
>"C:\windows\system32\COMres.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check
>this against your installation diskette."
>What does this mean? Do I have to reinstall Windows XP SP1? It's an
>annoying little box
>& there's another DLL error message that comes up with it sometimes. Are
>there any fixes
>for this or will I have to transfer all my important files to another
>computer & then wipe
>this one clean?

A shot in the dark, there's a registry setting you can check..

Click Start, Run. In the "Run" box type "regedit" without the quotes and press "Enter"
Navigate your way to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Over in the right pane, there should be an entry named

SourcePath

Make sure that this is set to your CD drive letter.
For instance if its drive letter is D: then the value of 'SourcePath' should be D:\
If it's not, double-click 'SourcePath', and make the correction.

The safest way to do this is if you have TweakUI XP installed. This setting is also available
there, under My Computer, Special Folders. The item is named "Installation Path"

Microsoft TweakUI specifically for Windows XP (It's free)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

If this doesn't fix it, post back with the other error message that comes up.

Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three sub-categories for the red
flagged error records. The date and time of these should correspond to your boot errors.
Double click on an error record to see the details.