From: chesscanoe on
When I go to
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en I get
error 0x80245003 cannot access the page. Maybe just because of the tiem of
day? 02:50 EDT.
From: TaurArian on
0x80245003

From a post by Pat Walters, MSFT :

" The error you list translates to: "The RedirectorID in the downloaded wuredir.cab
is smaller than the cached cab. Try this:
1. Close all Command Prompt windows and all Internet browsers
2. Click Start
3. Click Search
4. Click "All Files and Folders"
5. Copy and paste the following into the "A word or phrase in the file:"
field: wuident.cab;wuredir.cab
6. Using the pull-down menu, select only the drive letter where the WINDOWS directory
resides.
a. If you may not know where that is, click Start
b. Click Run
c. Type: %windir%
d. Click OK. A window will open with an address field near the top.
If it says: "D:\WINDOWS," then D: is the drive letter. If instead it says:
"C:\WINNT," then C: is the drive letter.
7. Click "More Advanced Options" and make sure the top 3 boxes are checked
8. Click Search
9. When you find the results, select every instance of these files in the
windows\system32\dllcache folder and delete them, but LEAVE the ones that are in the
system32 folder.
10. Repeat step 9, but select instances of files ANYWHERE outside the system32
folder, and delete them.
11. Finally, select any matching instances of files in the system32 folder, and
delete them.
12. Close the Search window
13. Click Start
14. Click Run
15. Type: services.msc and click OK
16. Make sure that the following two services are started, by double-clicking on each
of them.
a. Automatic Updates
b. Background Intelligent Transfer Service
c. If either of them are not started, click the Start button.
17. Verify they are started before leaving the Services window.
18. Open one single Internet Explorer window.
19. In the Internet Explorer window, click Tools, then Windows Update
20. When the browser reaches the Windows Update website is reached, see if
the site offers to download the newest software to your system. We'll assume it does.
21. Try to install just one update, by clicking "Custom Install"
22. Click Review and Install Updates
23. Uncheck all but one update, so that we can narrow down the problem.
24. Look down at your system clock and note the time. Click Install
25. If it succeeds, great! Reply back and let us know! If it fails, move to the next
step.
26. Click Start
27. Click Run
28. Type: %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log (notice no space between windows and update)
29. Scroll down through the log to the time you noted in step 24.
30. Starting at this time, click and drag down and to the right, selecting everything
to the end of the log from this time.
31. Copy the selected text
32. Reply back to this posting.
33. Tell us which update you were attempting to install, and where it failed.
34. Paste the copied text into the post, and Send it to us.

Sincerely,

Pat Walters [MSFT] "

From: chesscanoe on
This problem went away for me when I disabled Zone Alarm Pro 5.0.590.043, and
a preferable solution I subsequently found was to uncheck "Disable Web bugs"
under Privacy in ZAP.

From: TaurArian on
Thanks for the feedback, it just may help others.
Kaylene

Pages: 1
Prev: Install error 0x80246001
Next: DLL Trouble HELP!!