From: R.Wood on
(I searched the FAQs and prior posts but did not find this addressed.)

I installed DOS 6.2.2 under VPC 2004 SP1 running on Win2kPro-SP4. Other than
a few hicups with the floppy drive everything seems in place. I have loaded
and run a number of programs from floppies. So far, so good.

When I select the "Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions" it just sits
there. If I click on the "CD" tab at the top it displays the message about
releasing the image. If I try to go to drive "D:" it says invalid drive. It
will allow me to release the image and then to load the image from the host
file but then I cannot access this one either.

I deleted the first DOS VM and then installed again. Same thing. I
uninstalled VPC and downloaded another copy which when installed demonstrated
the same properties. So for the moment I have a very nice floppy-centric DOS
2.1 type of system without printer, network, shared files, or CD.

Can anyone help or am I going insane?

Thanks.

Wood
From: Steve Jain on
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:57:02 -0700, R.Wood
<RWood(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>(I searched the FAQs and prior posts but did not find this addressed.)
>
>I installed DOS 6.2.2 under VPC 2004 SP1 running on Win2kPro-SP4. Other than
>a few hicups with the floppy drive everything seems in place. I have loaded
>and run a number of programs from floppies. So far, so good.
>
>When I select the "Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions" it just sits
>there. If I click on the "CD" tab at the top it displays the message about
>releasing the image. If I try to go to drive "D:" it says invalid drive. It
>will allow me to release the image and then to load the image from the host
>file but then I cannot access this one either.
>
>I deleted the first DOS VM and then installed again. Same thing. I
>uninstalled VPC and downloaded another copy which when installed demonstrated
>the same properties. So for the moment I have a very nice floppy-centric DOS
>2.1 type of system without printer, network, shared files, or CD.
>
>Can anyone help or am I going insane?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Wood

The DOS additions must be installed manually. You use the DOS
Additions VFD and mount it to the floppy drive. There is no cd-rom
drivers, autorun options for DOS OSes, so the Additions menu install
won't work.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual PC\Virtual Machine Additions\DOS
Virtual Machine Additions.vfd

You missed on critical option for VPC Info (a lot of people miss it.),
the VPC help. Here's the info for DOS Additions, see the help file
for better formatting:

Installing Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS
You can perform a standard installation or a manual installation of
Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS. By using the following details
about a manual installation, you also can write a batch file that you
can use to perform an unattended installation. For instructions about
how to perform a standard installation, see To install Virtual Machine
Additions for MS-DOS.

Locate the Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS? virtual floppy disk
(DOS Virtual Machine Additions.vfd) on the installation CD. To install
Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS, do the following:

Start a virtual machine that is running a Windows operating system.
In the virtual machine window, log on to the guest operating system as
Administrator or a member of the Administrators group.
On the Action menu of the virtual machine, click Install or Update
Virtual Machine Additions. If you are unable to move the mouse pointer
to the Action menu, press the host key to release the mouse pointer
from the virtual machine window.
When prompted for confirmation, read the information, and then click
Continue.
When the Virtual Machine Additions InstallShield Wizard opens, click
Cancel, and then click Yes.
Double-click My Computer, right-click the CD drive icon, and then
click Open.
Copy the contents of the DOS folder to a floppy disk.
Start the virtual machine that has MS-DOS installed on it, and then
copy the contents of the floppy disk to the virtual machine.
After the contents of the floppy disk are on the virtual machine, do
the following to install Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS:

Mouse.com
This is the MS-DOS mouse driver for use with Virtual PC. It can be
loaded at any time by running Mouse.com. This file should be copied to
a known location on the virtual hard disk and a startup line should be
added to to the Autoexec.bat file, for example, C:\VmAdd\Mouse.com
Idle.com
This file is a utility that will stop MS-DOS from using 100% of the
CPU cycles when it is idle. It can be loaded at any time by running
Idle.com. This file should be copied to a known location on the
virtual hard disk and a startup line should be added to to the
Autoexec.bat file, for example, C:\VmAdd\Idle.com.
Note

This utility will not prevent MS-DOS from using 100% of the CPU if you
start a program.
Cdrom.sys
This file is the MS-DOS CD-ROM driver. It should be copied to a known
location on the virtual had disk. To access the CD-ROM under MS-DOS
you will need to load this driver in the Config.sys file; for example,
device=C:\VmAdd\Cdrom.sys /D:idecd001 /L:E where /D: is the name of
the CD device and /L: is the drive letter to use. You will also need
to load Mscdex.exe in the Autoexec.bat file; for example,
C:\DOS\Mscdex.exe /D:idecd001 /L:E /M:8 where /D: is the name of the
CD device, /L: is the drive letter to use, and /M: is the number of
buffers to use. For more information about Config.sys and
Autoexec.bat, see the documentation included with DOS.
Fshare.exe
This file is the MS-DOS shared folder driver for use with Virtual PC.
It can be loaded at any time by running Fshare.exe. This file should
be copied to a known location on the virtual hard disk and a startup
line should be added to the Autoexec.bat file, for example,
C:\VmAdd\Fshare.exe.
Important

To work correctly, the lastdrive variable must be defined in the
Config.sys file, for example, lastdrive=z.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: R.Wood on
For some reason I missed http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833146.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Wood

From: R.Wood on
Thanks for the more detailed info. I thought I was going crazy (not that that
is a new thing for me.) The speed and detail of your help was amazing. Thanks.

From: David Walker on
Steve Jain <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> wrote in

> The DOS additions must be installed manually. You use the DOS
> Additions VFD and mount it to the floppy drive. There is no cd-rom
> drivers,

Allow me to hijack this and jump in here:

If I attach a real CD-Rom to a real booted DOS (if the DOS has MSCDEX.EXE)
then I can read the CD-Rom!

I just can't read the CD-Rom image that's created by the Virtual Machine
Additions... I can see a DOS folder using DIR, buit I can't run or copy the
files that I see there. The folder does me no good.

> Locate the Virtual Machine Additions for MS-DOS? virtual floppy disk
> (DOS Virtual Machine Additions.vfd) on the installation CD.

There's no Installation CD if you download Virtual PC from Microsoft's Web
site. That's confusing (although you pointed out the right folder above).