From: Fed on
Real basic question....I dont really consider myself a newbie but I dont know
how to load windows xp in dos mode. F8 says safe mode options but no dos!

I think I got a virus - blue screen of death saying 'unmountable hard drive'
and computer is not restarting in safe mode OR in last known config. - just
shuts down after windows xp splash screen. Want to reformat and reinstall
windows (something I long wanted to do....)

Any clues?
From: Bruce Chambers on
Fed wrote:
> Real basic question....I dont really consider myself a newbie but I dont know
> how to load windows xp in dos mode. F8 says safe mode options but no dos!

There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical
operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation, has never
used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS. The Recovery Console's CLI
(Command Line Interface) is the closest you can come to the old "DOS mode."

> I think I got a virus - blue screen of death saying 'unmountable hard drive'
> and computer is not restarting in safe mode OR in last known config. - just
> shuts down after windows xp splash screen.

That's doesn't sound at all like a virus, but it does sound very much
like a hard drive failure. Check the hard drive manufacturer's web site
for a diagnostic utility you can download and use to test the hard
drive. You should also check with the motherboard manufacturer to see
if there's a BIOS patch available to address any known issues with the
IDE controllers.

> Want to reformat and reinstall
> windows (something I long wanted to do....)

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
From: Mike Hall (MS-MVP) on
Fed

Windows XP has no DOS mode, so is not possible..

Go to this site for info on how to restore your boot.ini file..

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/winxp/howto3/unmountable.htm

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

From: David Candy on
The XP CD is bootable.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments

From: David Candy on
And all your options are, where do you think they'd put the instructions? On the CD.