From: Michael Dobony on
Someone bought a Digital Research DR-2606 hand held wireless mic system for
occasional speaking use. The alkaline batteries do not seem to be lasting
very long, only an hour or so. This simply does not seem right. The
batteries may not have been very good in the first place and I am using
fresh batteries tonight to see what is going on. Still, with brand new
batteries it lasted through a wedding reception (may have been left on the
whole time) and about another 10 minutes after that. I was not around for
it and it is possible the mic was left running when put up. Right now just
trying to get a referenced. If you have experience with this mic, how long
does it last for you?
From: Phildo on

"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
> Someone bought a Digital Research DR-2606 hand held wireless mic system
> for
> occasional speaking use. The alkaline batteries do not seem to be lasting
> very long, only an hour or so. This simply does not seem right. The
> batteries may not have been very good in the first place and I am using
> fresh batteries tonight to see what is going on. Still, with brand new
> batteries it lasted through a wedding reception (may have been left on the
> whole time) and about another 10 minutes after that. I was not around for
> it and it is possible the mic was left running when put up. Right now just
> trying to get a referenced. If you have experience with this mic, how long
> does it last for you?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digital-Reference-DR2606-Vocal-Wireless-System?sku=270068&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2281560 -
cheap rubbish so I doubt many people here will be using them.

Here are some possible explanations:

1) Battery was duff to begin with. When I was on the ship we had to throw
away about 10 boxes of 9v batteries because they had been stored too long
and couldn't be trusted to last a show.

2) Check the wiring inside the mic. Something could be drawing power. Does
the mic get hot at all? Has it been exposed to moisture?

3) It is possible there is something wrong with the internal electronics of
the mic causing it to put out more power than it is supposed to. Is the gain
setting on the mic very high?

Phildo

From: Tim Perry on

"Michael Dobony" <survey(a)stopassaultnow.net> wrote in message
> Someone bought a Digital Research DR-2606 hand held wireless mic system
> for
> occasional speaking use. The alkaline batteries do not seem to be lasting
> very long, only an hour or so. This simply does not seem right. The
> batteries may not have been very good in the first place and I am using
> fresh batteries tonight to see what is going on. Still, with brand new
> batteries it lasted through a wedding reception (may have been left on the
> whole time) and about another 10 minutes after that. I was not around for
> it and it is possible the mic was left running when put up. Right now just
> trying to get a referenced. If you have experience with this mic, how long
> does it last for you?

specs:
http://www.digital-reference.com/products/dispProd.cfm?t=wireless&sT=handheld&sel=1

current rated at 60mA

compare battery discharge rates for different brands.
http://www.powerstream.com/9V-Alkaline-tests.htm

From: Phil Allison on

"Tim Perry is Blind "

> specs:
> http://www.digital-reference.com/products/dispProd.cfm?t=wireless&sT=handheld&sel=1
>
> current rated at 60mA
>
> compare battery discharge rates for different brands.
> http://www.powerstream.com/9V-Alkaline-tests.htm

** Funny how the specs say the battery is AA size.

Which does not tally with the 60mA drain figure and 8 hour life.

...... Phil