From: philo on
On 06/03/2010 02:52 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
> Some background on me: programmer in C#, some of my programs are run
> commercially, own my own business, heavy Windows user, very
> knowledgeable about PCs (built about a dozen for myself and friends
> from scratch, all Windows machines) hand RedHat Linux dual booted
> about 12 years ago with NT.
>
> I have an old Pentium II (1996 or so) with a tiny amount of RAM (about
> 26 MB!I think it says on bootup).
>
> Installed over a year ago DSL (ver. 4.2.5) on this old Pentium, which
> stands for Damn Small Linux. System was running Windows 2000 fine,

<snip>

total bull

Win2k will not run with just 26 megs of RAM...
even with 64 megs it would be too slow to be useful

From: The Natural Philosopher on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Jun 4, 1:39 am, Mike Easter <Mi...(a)ster.invalid> wrote:
>> c.o.l.s only
>>
>> There's a hwinfo on Hiren's, along with a lot of other system id tools
>> to choose from.
>>

> Trouble is, as of the moment my mouse is not being recognized

It knows who you are Ray.

Several of us clubbed together and built a DNA sensing mouse based on a
Linux operating system: When it detects your fingers on it, it tells the
computer its actually a flash stick.

I won't go into the tie ups with the national security agency that got
it plugged into your setup without you noticing: You simply wouldn't
believe me.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
philo wrote:
> On 06/03/2010 02:52 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
>> Some background on me: programmer in C#, some of my programs are run
>> commercially, own my own business, heavy Windows user, very
>> knowledgeable about PCs (built about a dozen for myself and friends
>> from scratch, all Windows machines) hand RedHat Linux dual booted
>> about 12 years ago with NT.
>>
>> I have an old Pentium II (1996 or so) with a tiny amount of RAM (about
>> 26 MB!I think it says on bootup).
>>
>> Installed over a year ago DSL (ver. 4.2.5) on this old Pentium, which
>> stands for Damn Small Linux. System was running Windows 2000 fine,
>>

> <snip>
>
> total bull
>
> Win2k will not run with just 26 megs of RAM...
> even with 64 megs it would be too slow to be useful

I think what Ray means is that all it has left AFTER it boots up WinDoze.
From: High Plains Thumper on
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> philo wrote:
>> RayLopez99 wrote:
>>
>>> Some background on me: programmer in C#, some of my programs are
>>> run commercially, own my own business, heavy Windows user, very
>>> knowledgeable about PCs (built about a dozen for myself and
>>> friends from scratch, all Windows machines) hand RedHat Linux
>>> dual booted about 12 years ago with NT.
>>>
>>> I have an old Pentium II (1996 or so) with a tiny amount of RAM
>>> (about 26 MB!I think it says on bootup).
>>>
>>> Installed over a year ago DSL (ver. 4.2.5) on this old Pentium,
>>> which stands for Damn Small Linux. System was running Windows
>>> 2000 fine,
>>
>> <snip> total bull
>>
>> Win2k will not run with just 26 megs of RAM... even with 64 megs it
>> would be too slow to be useful
>
> I think what Ray means is that all it has left AFTER it boots up
> WinDoze.

My venerable Dell Latitude C600 dual boot laptop with 850 MHz Intel
Mobile and 512 MB RAM takes a long time to boot up and boot down with
Windows 2000. To run Win2K on anything less would be insane, IMHO.

--
HPT
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 4, 3:25 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> This isn't "Linux". This is trying to run modern software, even
> stripped modern software, on antique and obscure hardware.

But that is Linux--Linux runs everywhere, remember? Even on your cell
phone. Even in a supercomputer. That's the propaganda.

> Laptops, in
> particular, have always been flakey about proprietary drivers and
> unusual chipsets designed to save a few pennies, a watt of power
> there, or a square inch of board space somewhere else. I've helped
> design and build enough server and mini-system hardware to have some
> handle on the issues. If the manufacturer didn't provide drivers, it's
> unreasonable to ask another vendor or a user support community, unpaid
> and unthanked, to make it work for you.

Fair point. So perhaps I should not put Linux on the laptop. I'm not
sure you understand this point, since maybe I was not clear, but right
now I'm installing Linux on a Pentium I/II (not sure which) from 1997
or so that's a desktop, not a laptop. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron
series I think from 1999/00 also with a PII.

> For the amount of time you've just burned, you can invest in a very
> modestly priced, far more powerful system capable of running the OS of
> your choice. In fact, you could even experiement and try a micro-
> system if you need small operating systems for expertise. But chipsets
> 15 years old? *Laptop* chipsets 15 years old, when you haven't even
> named the model number of the laptop? That's unfair to expect of any
> OS.
>
> Go ahead. Try and install a contemporary Windows OS on it, without the
> manufacturer's installation media and drivers. I'll bet that at least
> two components won't work.

Right. But the PS/2 mouse? You would think that's pretty standard.
BTW Puppy Linux running off the CD-ROM did ok with the video card--I
can see OK at 1024x resolution.

Mouse, keyboard and videocard, and CD-ROM and HD--is that too much to
ask for Linux to recognize on a 12 year old system? Windows XP, 2000
and NT (in reverse order) had no problems with this hardware.

To be continued... going to swap to a USB mouse and see if that
works...trouble is...I kid you not, but I think this system has a USB
1.0 bus driver, but in theory USB 2.0 is backwards compatible...we'll
see.

RL

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4