From: Ato_Zee on

> Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
> right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
> the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?
>
> Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
> have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
> able to find much below about 190gsm.

Retail commercial DVD covers aren't printed with inkjets, inkjet
paper for a gloss finish is thicker (and may have moire problems
agaist the outer plastic), try a matt inkjet paper.
A much better bet is a colour laser, then experiment with
papers, try to avoid coated papers in lasers.
From: Bill (Adopt) on
In article <_36wk.299823$ah4.177515(a)newsfe15.ams2>,
Ato_Zee <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
> > right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
> > the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?
> >
> > Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
> > have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
> > able to find much below about 190gsm.

> Retail commercial DVD covers aren't printed with inkjets, inkjet
> paper for a gloss finish is thicker (and may have moire problems
> agaist the outer plastic), try a matt inkjet paper.
> A much better bet is a colour laser, then experiment with
> papers, try to avoid coated papers in lasers.

Just as a thought I've always used laser print,
(and b/w at that until a few weeks ago), with a
standard 80gsm-100gsm laser paper.

Once inside the outer plastic, it may not really
matter too much - it seems to look 'glossy' enough
from the outside..

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
From: Paul Heslop on
"Bill (Adopt)" wrote:

> In article <_36wk.299823$ah4.177515(a)newsfe15.ams2>,
> Ato_Zee <ato_zee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Can anyone advise what type of glossy paper (weight wise) is about
> > > right for the DVD covers that go inside the plastic on the outside of
> > > the DVD? e.g. 100gsm, 120gsm?
> > >
> > > Some of the DVDs I have the paper does seem pretty thin but when I
> > > have been looking for glossy paper for this I don't seem to have been
> > > able to find much below about 190gsm.
>
> > Retail commercial DVD covers aren't printed with inkjets, inkjet
> > paper for a gloss finish is thicker (and may have moire problems
> > agaist the outer plastic), try a matt inkjet paper.
> > A much better bet is a colour laser, then experiment with
> > papers, try to avoid coated papers in lasers.
>
> Just as a thought I've always used laser print,
> (and b/w at that until a few weeks ago), with a
> standard 80gsm-100gsm laser paper.
>
> Once inside the outer plastic, it may not really
> matter too much - it seems to look 'glossy' enough
> from the outside..
>
> Bill ZFC

With my inkjet I use matte paper for DVD covers. For a start they dry
almost instantly, which is a boon when you're slipping them inside
those plastic things and prices are usually more favourable. It just
makes sense to me, the glossy stuff would only be needed if I were
trying to pass my recordings off as the real thing, which I am not,
it's just so my little collection of home recordings looks better :O)

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
From: Arthur Entlich on
To the original poster:

I agree with Bill, if the DVD will be distributed to numerous people or
if this is for distribution as a commercial product, but in small runs
(under a few hundred), I agree that going laser printing is probably.

If you want to use color, and are going to print both the front cover
and rear insert, they will fit on one standard letter page. You can
request special paper or card stock, giving you a choice of matte or
semigloss (I'd stay away from glossy with laser, it just doesn't look
that good, and it does tend to Newton-ring when next to another glossy
surface like the CD case). Cost per unit in small quantities (at least
here in Canada) would be about 60 cents per unit (both front and back)
or half that for front only (ganged two per page).

The reason I suggest laser printing (or even photocopying (black or
color) is that unlike many types of output from inkjet printers, laser
output is very stable and fade resistant. It will cost you less than
printing yourself if you consider ink and inkjet paper, unless you have
a CIS on your printer and a good source for paper, not to mention time.

Most commercial print services these days can work directly from a
digital file and some allow you to upload your artwork and pick it up
when done.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Your name on
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> "Bill (Adopt)" wrote:

>> > Retail commercial DVD covers aren't printed with inkjets, inkjet
>> > paper for a gloss finish is thicker (and may have moire problems
>> > agaist the outer plastic), try a matt inkjet paper.
>> > A much better bet is a colour laser, then experiment with
>> > papers, try to avoid coated papers in lasers.
>>
>> Just as a thought I've always used laser print,
>> (and b/w at that until a few weeks ago), with a
>> standard 80gsm-100gsm laser paper.
>>
>> Once inside the outer plastic, it may not really
>> matter too much - it seems to look 'glossy' enough
>> from the outside..
>>
>> Bill ZFC
>
> With my inkjet I use matte paper for DVD covers. For a start they dry
> almost instantly, which is a boon when you're slipping them inside
> those plastic things and prices are usually more favourable. It just
> makes sense to me, the glossy stuff would only be needed if I were
> trying to pass my recordings off as the real thing, which I am not,
> it's just so my little collection of home recordings looks better :O)

For my DVD boxes (also CDs) I use glossy photo paper from the dollar
store. I get 8 full page sheets for $1.00. Nice thicknes too (225 g/m2,
60lb, 9.2mil). This so called glossy photo paper (made in China) does
not look like "true photo paper" but it is perfectly suited for graphic
work, like CD/DVD liners and greeting cards, etc. I just want my little
creations to look their very best, so it's gotta be glossy of some kind.
And I don't make them to sell them either. I Put too much effort into
just one copy. ;-)

JJ