From: DaffyD� on
When I insert a blank DVD into the drive, the icon changes from DVD-RAM
Drive to CD Drive and a windows opens up asking what I would like to do with
the CD. After I eject the blank DVD, the icon returns to displaying DVD-RAM
Drive. However, when I insert a DVD video into the drive, it will be
recognized as such. A DVD data disc is correctly displayed as DVD ROM. The
drive reads any disk I insert, and the drive is also recognized by most of
my DVD burning software. I've also updated to the latest firmware for the
drive. I've checked online and this problem seems to have existed for years
with Windows XP.

The question is, why does the icon change to CD Drive when I insert a blank
DVD disc and then only give me options for working with a CD?
--
DaffyD� ( : []=

If I knew where I was I'd be there now.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4836 (20100204) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Shenan Stanley on
DaffyD� wrote:
> When I insert a blank DVD into the drive, the icon changes from
> DVD-RAM Drive to CD Drive and a windows opens up asking what I
> would like to do with the CD. After I eject the blank DVD, the icon
> returns to displaying DVD-RAM Drive. However, when I insert a DVD
> video into the drive, it will be recognized as such. A DVD data
> disc is correctly displayed as DVD ROM. The drive reads any disk I
> insert, and the drive is also recognized by most of my DVD burning
> software. I've also updated to the latest firmware for the drive.
> I've checked online and this problem seems to have existed for
> years with Windows XP.
> The question is, why does the icon change to CD Drive when I insert
> a blank DVD disc and then only give me options for working with a
> CD?

Make/model of the drive would be of great help here.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: DaffyD� on
Make: LG; Model: GH22LP20. Their website was no help at all; I'm also
waiting for a response from their customer service dept. I didn't specify my
hardware because this situation has also occurred with HP, Pioneer and other
manufacturers over the past few years. I think it's an XP issue, not
hardware-based.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4837 (20100205) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: VanguardLH on
DaffyD� wrote:

> When I insert a blank DVD into the drive, the icon changes from DVD-RAM
> Drive to CD Drive and a windows opens up asking what I would like to do with
> the CD. After I eject the blank DVD, the icon returns to displaying DVD-RAM
> Drive. However, when I insert a DVD video into the drive, it will be
> recognized as such. A DVD data disc is correctly displayed as DVD ROM. The
> drive reads any disk I insert, and the drive is also recognized by most of
> my DVD burning software. I've also updated to the latest firmware for the
> drive. I've checked online and this problem seems to have existed for years
> with Windows XP.
>
> The question is, why does the icon change to CD Drive when I insert a blank
> DVD disc and then only give me options for working with a CD?

See replies to your SAME post that you MULTI-posted in another group. Learn
to cross-post:

A point not made is that N multi-posted copies will consume N times the disk
space for each of the separate copies of the same post. Cross-posted
messages have just *one* copy on the server with links in the newsgroups
back to the same single copy. Multi-posting wastes disk space on the
server. Yes, your post may be small but remember that you consume N times
the space on one server and then do so again on all the newsgroups servers
worldwide. You waste more bandwidth getting N copies of your multi-posted
message distributed to all the newsgroups servers worldwide. Cross-posting
has just one copy of the message on an NNTP server, and only one copy gets
propagated to other NNTP servers.

To those visiting the newsgroups, cross-posting helps them see ALL the
replies from those in the other RELATED newsgroup to which you linked your
post. That way, they don't waste their time duplicating similar replies.

Don't cross-post to more groups than needed if at all. Many consider
cross-posting to more than 4 groups as rude and may filter out your post.
The more groups you add, the less likely that they are related, the less
accurate or focused are the targeted groups, or some of the included groups
may already be encompassed by an included parent group. If they are
subgroups under a topic, choose whether you will be specific or general in
the targeted groups to which you post. Usenet-ignorants that shotgun their
posts across multiple groups trying to capture as large an audience as
possible will offend netizens with the poor aim. Multi-posting instead of
cross-posting when shotgunning across multiple groups evidences you as a
newbie, troll, or spammer.