From: Jo-Anne on
I've begun playing DVD movies on my WinXP laptop with VLC Media Player.
Today, a brand new DVD kept "stuttering" all the way through. That is, both
video and sound would completely stop and then, after a few seconds, resume.
I thought the DVD was bad--but I played it on my WinXP desktop computer with
the same media player, and it seemed to run mostly OK (although there were
some places where I sensed very slight hesitations).

Could it be a marginal DVD? And if so, is there a way of making it work
better? (It's a DVD I bought a couple months ago, so I'm not sure I can
return it.) I've played a few other DVD movies on the laptop without any
stuttering.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

From: Paul on
Jo-Anne wrote:
> I've begun playing DVD movies on my WinXP laptop with VLC Media Player.
> Today, a brand new DVD kept "stuttering" all the way through. That is, both
> video and sound would completely stop and then, after a few seconds, resume.
> I thought the DVD was bad--but I played it on my WinXP desktop computer with
> the same media player, and it seemed to run mostly OK (although there were
> some places where I sensed very slight hesitations).
>
> Could it be a marginal DVD? And if so, is there a way of making it work
> better? (It's a DVD I bought a couple months ago, so I'm not sure I can
> return it.) I've played a few other DVD movies on the laptop without any
> stuttering.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Have you Googled the name of the movie title, to see what protection
methods might have been applied to it ? They're always inventing
new and evil means of protecting content, and perhaps that is
what you've run into. (For example, it may play smooth in a real
DVD player connected to your TV, but stutter when played back on
a PC.)

It could also be a problem with the manufacturing of the DVD itself.

Programs like this one, can be used to scan the sectors of the media
and indicate whether there are problems reading the media.

"Nero DiscSpeed 4.11.2.0"

http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_DiscSpeed_d118.html

There is also a disc quality scan option, that looks a bit like this.
If the graph goes into the thousands or tens of thousands of errors,
that might make the media stutter in the drive.

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/101055_nero-discspeed-quality.jpg

You can use an approach like that, to test the disc. You would
compare the results, to some other, smoothly working DVD, to prove
it isn't the DVD drive itself.

But I really recommend Googling the title of the movie itself,
because there may be many disgruntled buyers of the movie title
already, who have figured this out for you.

Paul
From: Rob Moir on

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I've begun playing DVD movies on my WinXP laptop with VLC Media Player.
> Today, a brand new DVD kept "stuttering" all the way through. That is,
> both video and sound would completely stop and then, after a few seconds,
> resume. I thought the DVD was bad--but I played it on my WinXP desktop
> computer with the same media player, and it seemed to run mostly OK
> (although there were some places where I sensed very slight hesitations).
>
> Could it be a marginal DVD? And if so, is there a way of making it work
> better? (It's a DVD I bought a couple months ago, so I'm not sure I can
> return it.) I've played a few other DVD movies on the laptop without any
> stuttering.

I have to agree with Paul - it's probably the DVD you're playing rather than
your DVD player, if you see what I mean. The fact that other DVD movies play
ok points strongly in that direction. Now the only question is whether or
not you have a faulty disk or if it's down to something like the protection
causing problems. If it's the latter then probably there will be plenty of
posts online from others having similar problems.

From: Jo-Anne on
"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I've begun playing DVD movies on my WinXP laptop with VLC Media Player.
>> Today, a brand new DVD kept "stuttering" all the way through. That is,
>> both video and sound would completely stop and then, after a few seconds,
>> resume. I thought the DVD was bad--but I played it on my WinXP desktop
>> computer with the same media player, and it seemed to run mostly OK
>> (although there were some places where I sensed very slight hesitations).
>>
>> Could it be a marginal DVD? And if so, is there a way of making it work
>> better? (It's a DVD I bought a couple months ago, so I'm not sure I can
>> return it.) I've played a few other DVD movies on the laptop without any
>> stuttering.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>
> Have you Googled the name of the movie title, to see what protection
> methods might have been applied to it ? They're always inventing
> new and evil means of protecting content, and perhaps that is
> what you've run into. (For example, it may play smooth in a real
> DVD player connected to your TV, but stutter when played back on
> a PC.)
>
> It could also be a problem with the manufacturing of the DVD itself.
>
> Programs like this one, can be used to scan the sectors of the media
> and indicate whether there are problems reading the media.
>
> "Nero DiscSpeed 4.11.2.0"
>
> http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_DiscSpeed_d118.html
>
> There is also a disc quality scan option, that looks a bit like this.
> If the graph goes into the thousands or tens of thousands of errors,
> that might make the media stutter in the drive.
>
> http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/101055_nero-discspeed-quality.jpg
>
> You can use an approach like that, to test the disc. You would
> compare the results, to some other, smoothly working DVD, to prove
> it isn't the DVD drive itself.
>
> But I really recommend Googling the title of the movie itself,
> because there may be many disgruntled buyers of the movie title
> already, who have figured this out for you.
>
> Paul

Thank you, Paul! I'll check out Nero DiscSpeed. I just Googled the movie and
couldn't find anything about the regular DVD, although there seemed to be
problems with the Blu-Ray version (not what I have). One person at Amazon
complained that two out of four discs in a DVD set that included my movie
stuttered but didn't specify this one. Mine came as one of four movies in a
different set; I guess I'd better play the others soon to determine if
they're OK.

One other question, probably off-topic: Do there tend to be more quality
issues in sets of unrelated DVD movies than in singles? The other movies
I've played so far have been singles.

Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

From: Jo-Anne on
"Rob Moir" <robspamtrap(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jo-Anne" <Jo-Anne(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> I've begun playing DVD movies on my WinXP laptop with VLC Media Player.
>> Today, a brand new DVD kept "stuttering" all the way through. That is,
>> both video and sound would completely stop and then, after a few seconds,
>> resume. I thought the DVD was bad--but I played it on my WinXP desktop
>> computer with the same media player, and it seemed to run mostly OK
>> (although there were some places where I sensed very slight hesitations).
>>
>> Could it be a marginal DVD? And if so, is there a way of making it work
>> better? (It's a DVD I bought a couple months ago, so I'm not sure I can
>> return it.) I've played a few other DVD movies on the laptop without any
>> stuttering.
>
> I have to agree with Paul - it's probably the DVD you're playing rather
> than your DVD player, if you see what I mean. The fact that other DVD
> movies play ok points strongly in that direction. Now the only question is
> whether or not you have a faulty disk or if it's down to something like
> the protection causing problems. If it's the latter then probably there
> will be plenty of posts online from others having similar problems.

Thank you, Rob! It probably is my DVD, since I couldn't find much through
Google for this movie (except, as I mentioned to Paul, for the Blu-Ray
version).

Jo-Anne