From: (O)enone on
Barry Watzman wrote:
> From your description, we would infer that the back of your computer
> has THREE video sockets ... on VGA and two DVI. This is an EXTREMELY
> non-standard configuration

Is it?

I would have thought that a motherboard with on-board graphics and a VGA out
slot, plus a graphics card with twin DVI outputs, was a remarkably common
configuration these days.

I agree he probably used the wrong port, but I don't see why you would think
this to be EXTREMELY non-standard?

--

(O)enone

From: Benjamin Gawert on
* (O)enone:

>> From your description, we would infer that the back of your computer
>> has THREE video sockets ... on VGA and two DVI. This is an EXTREMELY
>> non-standard configuration
>
> Is it?
>
> I would have thought that a motherboard with on-board graphics and a VGA out
> slot, plus a graphics card with twin DVI outputs, was a remarkably common
> configuration these days.
>
> I agree he probably used the wrong port, but I don't see why you would think
> this to be EXTREMELY non-standard?

It's not. In fact, this is EXTREMELY common if you have a computer with
on-board gfx (which often can be found in entry level PCs) that gets
upgraded with a gfx card.

I also can't see which standards this configuration should be against.

Benjamin
From: Barry Watzman on

From: Barry Watzman on
I didn't say it was "against" any standard. But what I am saying is
that if you looked at all PCs that exist, and asked "how many have three
video connectors on the back", the answer would probably be less than 1%
(considering in part that probably 95% have only one video connector).

From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Barry Watzman:

> I didn't say it was "against" any standard. But what I am saying is
> that if you looked at all PCs that exist, and asked "how many have three
> video connectors on the back", the answer would probably be less than 1%
> (considering in part that probably 95% have only one video connector).

No. If you look at all PCs that exist the first thing you will find out
is that the majority of all PCs has on-board gfx with mostly only one
VGA port (that's btw. why intel still is the biggest manufacturer of PC
gfx hardware). And when looking on all these PCs with on-board gfx you
will find out that probably at least 30% have been upgraded with a gfx
card at any point, usually because their owners want to add a widescreen
display (most integrated gfx offer very limited or no widescreen support
at all), because the signal quality of the integrated gfx solution is
very poor, or because the need for better 3D performance has shown up.

And this even doesn't include PCs without integrated gfx but with
triplehead gfx (i.e. a dual head PCIe/AGP gfx and an additional PCI gfx
with only one output) which are used in lots of applications (medical
imaging, stock dealers etc). The majority of AGP and PCIe gfx cards do
have two video outputs (VGA+VGA, with the advent of TFTs becoming
VGA+DVI and today often DVI+DVI), most addon PCI gfx cards for multihead
solutions (i.e. Quadro NVS) only have one gfx connector (VGA, DVI or DMS59).

So no, having three video connectors on a computer is far from being
"EXTREMELY non-standard", and the percentage of computers with three
connectors on the back is very likely much more than 1%.

Benjamin