From: Quad_Damage on
hello!

i plan to buy a new videocard - x1950pro or HD2600xt.
does HD2600xt really have better performance over X1950pro?

thank you!

From: Frodo on
From what I understand, the HD2600XT really shines with Direct X10,
But the X1950 Pro will do better with Direct X 9.

From: First of One on
The HD2600XT is likely too slow for any DX10 games.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM2MCw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

And this is not something that will improve significantly with newer
drivers. The card is fundamentally slow; in terms of fill rate and memory
bandwidth the HD2600XT is comparable to an old X800XL, and quite a bit
slower than the X1950 Pro.
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=1

From: Ken Maltby on
> "Quad_Damage" <qdamage(a)quake.org> wrote in message
>> hello!
>>
>> i plan to buy a new videocard - x1950pro or HD2600xt.
>> does HD2600xt really have better performance over X1950pro?
>>
>> thank you!

"Frodo" <No_spam_I(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> From what I understand, the HD2600XT really shines with Direct X10,
> But the X1950 Pro will do better with Direct X 9.

The HD 2600XT is underpowered for DX10 gaming.

There are other features to consider if you want to work with HD or
compress SD using highly complex AVC/H.264 or VC-1. For that
kind of work, the new Avivo and PureVideo features can make a real
difference.

Presents the $100-150 ATI cards that include the newest features.
While they support DX10 and newer shaders, I would not recommend
them for gaming. Their video accelerations look impressive though.

( I find it odd that the HD 2900XT still has the older version of
Avivo. )

Luck;
Ken

From: First of One on
The HD2900XT has a lot of features "broken" in the silicon, one of them
being the hardware FSAA resolver. UVD may be the other item. Marketing
pressures.