From: bigsphinx on
I have a 70' x 35' room that I intend to use as a performance hall,
for music ranging from noisy metal bands to acoustic/chamber music.
Concrete floor, 12' high concrete-block walls. The roof is 18' high
in the middle. We'll put in thick fiberglass insulation on the
ceiling, and leave the rafters open (A/C duct and main house speakers
will go up there too).

The concrete floor will remain uncovered, but we obviously need to
treat the walls. I've been advised to install 4' x 8' sheets of
styrofoam insulation over most of the wall, and to cover them with
fabric to make it all look better. (I plan to use thick stage
curtains behind the stage and on either side of the audience, so that
I can expose the bare walls as needed during acoustic shows.)

Has anyone here installed foam panels in this way? What kind of
fabric did you use? How did you attach the fabric to the foam, and
the panel to the wall? How durable did it turn out to be? Did it
dampen the sound as much as you'd hoped?

Or, does anybody have some better ideas for treating these walls?

From: tbmoas58 on

<bigsphinx(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a 70' x 35' room that I intend to use as a performance hall,
> for music ranging from noisy metal bands to acoustic/chamber music.
> Concrete floor, 12' high concrete-block walls. The roof is 18' high
> in the middle. We'll put in thick fiberglass insulation on the
> ceiling, and leave the rafters open (A/C duct and main house speakers
> will go up there too).
>
> The concrete floor will remain uncovered, but we obviously need to
> treat the walls. I've been advised to install 4' x 8' sheets of
> styrofoam insulation over most of the wall, and to cover them with
> fabric to make it all look better. (I plan to use thick stage
> curtains behind the stage and on either side of the audience, so that
> I can expose the bare walls as needed during acoustic shows.)
>
> Has anyone here installed foam panels in this way? What kind of
> fabric did you use? How did you attach the fabric to the foam, and
> the panel to the wall? How durable did it turn out to be? Did it
> dampen the sound as much as you'd hoped?
>
> Or, does anybody have some better ideas for treating these walls?

sound treatment first needs to analyse what sounds you need to treat
very few materials will treat bass and Highs the same
if your simply looking to reduce echo the stryo will be next to worthless
as it is seen as basiclly flat(like the walls
I believe a unpainted cinder block wall would be less likely to echo than
one with a flat smooth surface like the stryo presents, though I would have
to heck my co-effecients tables to say with 100% certenty.

I suggest you hire a acoustical consultant to come measure your room
do some burst/%alcon and rt60 evaluations
discuss your end goals and develope a solution

in this case doing "something" without proper guidence could be MUCH worse
than doing nothing

also be sure your fire code compliant

let me repeat that

BE SURE YOUR FIRE CODE COMPLIANT

this differs from county to county, some times even town to town

its YOUR job to be sure your not createing a life saftey hazard with your
actions
George

From: Pat on
In article <13iunoskfm2er78(a)corp.supernews.com>,
<tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:

> sound treatment first needs to analyse what sounds you need to treat
> very few materials will treat bass and Highs the same
> if your simply looking to reduce echo the stryo will be next to worthless
> as it is seen as basiclly flat(like the walls
> I believe a unpainted cinder block wall would be less likely to echo than
> one with a flat smooth surface like the stryo presents, though I would have
> to heck my co-effecients tables to say with 100% certenty.
>
> I suggest you hire a acoustical consultant to come measure your room
> do some burst/%alcon and rt60 evaluations
> discuss your end goals and develope a solution
>
> in this case doing "something" without proper guidence could be MUCH worse
> than doing nothing
>
> also be sure your fire code compliant
>
> let me repeat that
>
> BE SURE YOUR FIRE CODE COMPLIANT

Styrofoam is pretty close to useless. Thick stage curtains will help
some above 1000 Hz but will do nothing to help tame low frequency
standing waves.

2" fibreglass board will go a long way toward treating the problem - it
has a NRC above 1.0 down to 500Hz. If you can afford it, Owens-Corning
SelectSound black acoustic board is a good choice as it comes already
covered with black fabric. By its nature fibreglass is an excellent
choice for fire-rated acoustic treatment but be sure to check your local
codes.

A concrete room is going to have problems in the low frequencies. Some
bass trapping to balance the low frequencies will help. There are lots
of bass trap plans on the net but a ready-made solution is available
here:

http://www.realtraps.com

--
My newsreader kills all posts made from google groups
http://improve-usenet.org/
From: bigsphinx on
Thanks! I'll see if I can have those measurement tests done.

From: bigsphinx on

> I suggest you hire a acoustical consultant to come measure your room
> do some burst/%alcon and rt60 evaluations
> discuss your end goals and develope a solution

Thanks, I'll do that!