From: Ralph on

"Marc Henderson" <genesis77Re-move-this(a)usa.com> wrote in message

> Thanks, Nobody, for all those links. They look pretty useful. I'll
> check every one of them out.

That is an excellent list; even required reading for anyone using Jet
formatted databases.

But your question was whether you should still use DAO 3.5 with Windows 7
because it is 'marked' as unsupported. The short answer is sure!

There are many good reasons to upgrade to 3.6, but if any of those reasons
were applicable to your application you would have found out and converted
by now.

There are differences between DAO 3.5 and 3.6 which could impact your code,
so if your code is working now with DAO 3.5 then there is absolutely NO
reason to change to anything else, as doing so would require re-testing your
application and likely making a few changes - therefore in more technical
terms - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-ralph

From: David Kaye on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Switch to using Jet 4.0. It is present on Windows 2000 through to
>Windows 7. As it is installed with the OS and updated as part of the
>OS updates you don't need to worry about installing it.

Not only that but it appears to be much more robust than previous versions.
The indexing appears to find records a bit faster, especially with difficult
joins.

--
"You're in probably the wickedest, most corrupt city, most
Godless city in America." -- Fr Mullen, "San Francisco"
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>But your question was whether you should still use DAO 3.5 with Windows 7
>because it is 'marked' as unsupported. The short answer is sure!
>
>There are many good reasons to upgrade to 3.6, but if any of those reasons
>were applicable to your application you would have found out and converted
>by now.
>
>There are differences between DAO 3.5 and 3.6 which could impact your code,
>so if your code is working now with DAO 3.5 then there is absolutely NO
>reason to change to anything else, as doing so would require re-testing your
>application and likely making a few changes - therefore in more technical
>terms - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But what about possible security vulnerabilities with Jet 3.5?
Highly unlikely I agree but I wouldn't want to run that risk. There
have been some vulnerabilities patched with Jet 4.0. It's quite
possible those vulnerabilities exist in Jet 3.5 and, if so, they have
not been patched.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Jason Keats on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> But what about possible security vulnerabilities with Jet 3.5?
> Highly unlikely I agree but I wouldn't want to run that risk. There
> have been some vulnerabilities patched with Jet 4.0. It's quite
> possible those vulnerabilities exist in Jet 3.5 and, if so, they have
> not been patched.
>
> Tony

You probably know that DAO 3.5x supports Access 97/Jet 3.5, while DAO
4.0 supports Access 2000/Jet 4.0.

The main difference being unicode support and the ability to use ADO.

Although DAO is a bit faster and allows you to modify the database, it's
not as flexible, or as much fun, as ADO. ADO, of course, was the future
(until ADO+/ADO.NET).

According to some it also got a little slower because unicode strings
are twice as long.

HTH
From: Ralph on

"Jason Keats" <jkeats(a)melbpcDeleteThis.org.au> wrote in message
> Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> > But what about possible security vulnerabilities with Jet 3.5?
> > Highly unlikely I agree but I wouldn't want to run that risk. There
> > have been some vulnerabilities patched with Jet 4.0. It's quite
> > possible those vulnerabilities exist in Jet 3.5 and, if so, they have
> > not been patched.
> >
> > Tony
>
> You probably know that DAO 3.5x supports Access 97/Jet 3.5, while DAO
> 4.0 supports Access 2000/Jet 4.0.
>
> The main difference being unicode support and the ability to use ADO.
>
> Although DAO is a bit faster and allows you to modify the database, it's
> not as flexible, or as much fun, as ADO. ADO, of course, was the future
> (until ADO+/ADO.NET).
>
> According to some it also got a little slower because unicode strings
> are twice as long.

Gentlemen, I fully believe that both of you are sincere and have the OPs
"best interest" at heart. But here are the significant facts:

1) DAO 3.5 uses Jet 3.5 and is recommended for use with Jet 3.5 formatted
databases.
2) DAO 3.6 uses Jet 4.0 and is recommended for use with Jet 4.0 formatted
databases.
3) Both DAO 3.5 or DAO 4.0 data access libraries can be used on Win7.
4) However, we don't know for sure what the OP's targeted file format is.
The fact that some clients are using "DAO 3.1" *suggests* that some clients
may be using a file format older than 4.0, but we don't know for sure.
5) We also don't what controls the OP's application might be using. (Some VB
and 3rd party controls have a dependency on a specific DAO version.)
5) If the OP needed improved support for Jet 4.0 file formats or controls -
that fact would have appeared before now - NO matter what O/S the OP was
targetting.
6) The OP reports that preliminatry tests show that there is no problem
using DAO 3.5 with his application.

I fully agree that using the Latest 'n Greatest of just about anything is of
ten the way to go - especially with a technology that is some ten plus years
old. In this case, for example, the OP would gain:
1) Not having to distribute the Jet 3.5 components with newer platforms.
2) Availability of security patches.
3) Better support (more optimal) for Jet 4 file formats, and
4) some advantages in using the Jet 4 engine.
But then the OP also runs the risk of:
1) introducing subtle bugs into the application. DAO 3.6 manages lifecycles
a bit differently. (Nothing that can't be repaired with a little
re-organization.)
2) introducing a possible reduction in performance,
3) no longer being able to work with older Jet formats, and
4) possibily breaking existing client solutions
(This latter is more often a problem if the client is using more than one
tool for manipulating the database file.)

Perhaps the gains out-weight the risks? But we don't know. That is up the OP
to test and decide. In the meantime - quite frankly - if it ain't broke, why
*fix* it?

-ralph