From: Jason Keats on
Eduardo wrote:
> If I switch back to DAO 3.51 what problem can I encounter?
> I changed to DAO 3.6 because I upgraded the program from VB5 to VB6 and
> because I had problems (en error) when the installer of the VB5 version
> attemped to install the DAO 3.51 dll on Vista.

If you've "migrated" your MDB file to Access 2000 format, then (from
memory) you'll have to save it as an Access 97 file if you want to use
DAO 3.51.

This shouldn't be a problem unless you've actually stored Unicode data
in your database in the mean time.

HTH
From: Ralph on

"Jason Keats" <jkeats(a)melbpcDeleteThis.org.au> wrote in message
> Eduardo wrote:
> > If I switch back to DAO 3.51 what problem can I encounter?
> > I changed to DAO 3.6 because I upgraded the program from VB5 to VB6 and
> > because I had problems (en error) when the installer of the VB5 version
> > attemped to install the DAO 3.51 dll on Vista.
>
> If you've "migrated" your MDB file to Access 2000 format, then (from
> memory) you'll have to save it as an Access 97 file if you want to use
> DAO 3.51.

Not required.

Most data access technologies use a 'component stack', often clearly
divided, and allows a certain amount of mix and match. In the case of DAO
and Jet the components become blurred as both are intimately associated, not
surprising as both were developed in tandem. Also "Jet" itself serves
several roles - it is a database engine and an ODBC driver.

In this case:
A data access library (DAO)
connectivity layer (ODBC)
driver (Jet)
engine (Jet)
database (Jet-formatted file)

Best use results (and sanity) are achieved if all the components are
matched, and this is the 'default', but one can swap if necessary.

> This shouldn't be a problem unless you've actually stored Unicode data
> in your database in the mean time.

Unicode is the least of any problems you're likely to run into using DAO 3.5
with Jet 4 formatted databases.

-ralph

From: Eduardo on
Jason Keats escribi�:
> Eduardo wrote:
>> If I switch back to DAO 3.51 what problem can I encounter?
>> I changed to DAO 3.6 because I upgraded the program from VB5 to VB6 and
>> because I had problems (en error) when the installer of the VB5 version
>> attemped to install the DAO 3.51 dll on Vista.
>
> If you've "migrated" your MDB file to Access 2000 format, then (from
> memory) you'll have to save it as an Access 97 file if you want to use
> DAO 3.51.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem unless you've actually stored Unicode data
> in your database in the mean time.

Hi,

No, the database is still 97, I didn't migrate that.

I fact, the only thing I did so far, is to change the reference in the
IDE's references screen (from DAO 3.51 to DAO 3.6).

I'm still finishing other upgrade issues (not related to DB) to be able
to make the new version available to my clients.