From: Marc Henderson on
Hi,

In the MS Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista,
Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 (Update: August 2009) found at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx there's a section
titled "Unsupported, But Supported and Compatible Updates or Upgrades
are Available." In this section the files distributed with our app
include dao350.dll, msjet35.dll, msjint35.dll, msjterr35.dll,
msrd2x35.dll, and msrepl35.dll.

The statement says compatible upgrades are available, but doesn't say
where they can be found. I spent hours trying to find these updates on
microsoft.com, but couldn't find a thing. I tried a variety of keyword
combinations in my searches, but no luck.

If anyone knows where to find these files (a URL would be nice) or
what keywords to search for, it would really be appreciated. Also, is
there an MS support forum for VB6 where I could ask this question ?

The funny thing is the old dao350.dll, etc. seem to work well with our
app on Win7 RC, but the word "unsupported" is a little discouraging.

Thanks in advance for *any* help on this issue.

Marc Henderson

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Marc Henderson <genesis77Re-move-this(a)usa.com> wrote:

>In the MS Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista,
>Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 (Update: August 2009) found at
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx there's a section
>titled "Unsupported, But Supported and Compatible Updates or Upgrades
>are Available." In this section the files distributed with our app
>include dao350.dll, msjet35.dll, msjint35.dll, msjterr35.dll,
>msrd2x35.dll, and msrepl35.dll.

Switch to using Jet 4.0. It is present on Windows 2000 through to
Windows 7. As it is installed with the OS and updated as part of the
OS updates you don't need to worry about installing it.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Marc Henderson on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Marc Henderson <genesis77Re-move-this(a)usa.com> wrote:
>
>>In the MS Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista,
>>Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 (Update: August 2009) found at
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx there's a section
>>titled "Unsupported, But Supported and Compatible Updates or Upgrades
>>are Available." In this section the files distributed with our app
>>include dao350.dll, msjet35.dll, msjint35.dll, msjterr35.dll,
>>msrd2x35.dll, and msrepl35.dll.
>
>Switch to using Jet 4.0. It is present on Windows 2000 through to
>Windows 7. As it is installed with the OS and updated as part of the
>OS updates you don't need to worry about installing it.
>
>Tony

Thanks for your quick response, Tony. The problem with switching to
Jet 4.0 is that we have many customers now using our app with DAO 3.51
and we'd be letting them down if we switched at this point. Also,
nobody on our staff is familiar with Jet 4.0. Would it mean that we'd
have to change our code, e.g., for SQL queries ?

One thing I thought of is switching to DAO 3.6, because it's
distributed with Win7 and I seem to remember that there's a utility
for converting from DAO 3.5 to 3.6. Do you happen to know if there is
such a utility and whether it's distributable ?

Of course the ideal solution would be to get the updated dao350.dll if
it really exists. :) There must be some way to contact MS to ask
questions like this.

Marc

From: Nobody on
I think you could update to DAO360.DLL, but I am not sure. Also, check these
articles:

MDAC version 2.6 and later do not contain Jet or Desktop ODBC drivers

How to obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database
Engine
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114

DAO360.DLL is listed in the above article.

How to keep a Jet 4.0 database in top working condition in Access 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300216

HOW TO: Keep a Jet 3.x Database in Top Working Condition(Link came from the
article above):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303519/

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Marc Henderson <genesis77Re-move-this(a)usa.com> wrote:

>>Switch to using Jet 4.0. It is present on Windows 2000 through to
>>Windows 7. As it is installed with the OS and updated as part of the
>>OS updates you don't need to worry about installing it.
>>
>>Tony
>
>Thanks for your quick response, Tony. The problem with switching to
>Jet 4.0 is that we have many customers now using our app with DAO 3.51
>and we'd be letting them down if we switched at this point. Also,
>nobody on our staff is familiar with Jet 4.0. Would it mean that we'd
>have to change our code, e.g., for SQL queries ?

How would that be letting down your customers? The changes should be
transparent to your app. It's been a while but I don't recall any
problems when moving from Access 97 to Access 2000.

Do note though that my expertise is in Access. I'm not a VB expert
although I'm learning.

>One thing I thought of is switching to DAO 3.6, because it's
>distributed with Win7 and I seem to remember that there's a utility
>for converting from DAO 3.5 to 3.6. Do you happen to know if there is
>such a utility and whether it's distributable ?

No idea. And I don't think there's much of a conversion required
other than removing the DAO 3.5 reference and putting in the DAO 3.6
reference. Obviously you'll need to test things out.

Hmm, I forgot about Sandbox mode stuff. Do ensure you test with a bog
standard user account in Windows to ensure none of the Sandbox
settings affect you. I don't know if they would or not.

How to configure Jet 4.0 to prevent unsafe functions from running in
Access 2000 and Access 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239482

>Of course the ideal solution would be to get the updated dao350.dll if
>it really exists. :) There must be some way to contact MS to ask
>questions like this.

The last one of which I'm aware is
Jet 3.5 SP3 - msjet35.dll - 3.51.3328.0
Updated version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 available for download
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172733
The above is dated 1999.

Tony