From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 08:23:51 -0600, Clueless wrote:

> I do have D: and when I installed Eudora I indicated the D:\mail
> folder as location for mail.

>>> Where do I keep the data?

>> Anywhere _except_ under where program files normally go.

> I have tried everywhere, Documents and settings,
> C:\ProgramData, C:\ and so on.

> Nothing works

Go to Eudora's program files folder
and rename Eudora.ini, in that folder only, to EudoraOLD.ini

Does it "work" now?

This could also be done by "Lizzie,"
who was just relating the same issue
(and in whose thread may be found a complete explanation),
though in her case, we suggested an opportunity
to clean up the entire programs folder,
rather than just "hide" this one file.

From: Clueless on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:07:13 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>Go to Eudora's program files folder
>and rename Eudora.ini, in that folder only, to EudoraOLD.ini
>
>Does it "work" now?

It it did not.

I was having XP Pro in the C: partition and the mail data in D:\Mail

After installing Win7 in C:\ I installed Eudora as usual and when the
installed asked about locating the data files I pointed to the D:\Mail
folder. It XP this worked ok but not in Win7

I put copies of the Mail folder every conceivable place still it
refused to budge.

Finally a spark - I renamed D:\Mail to D:\Eudora and bingo! all was
well.

It seems Win7 is biased against the folder name - perhaps mail is a
reserved word :-(

Thanks for trying to help me

--
ClueLess
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 03:52:26 -0600:

> I was having XP Pro in the C: partition and the mail data in D:\Mail

> After installing Win7 in C:\ I installed Eudora as usual and when the
> installed asked about locating the data files I pointed to the D:\Mail
> folder. It XP this worked ok but not in Win7

Could the "permissions" set in XP for D:\Mail
no longer be valid after installing Win7 over XP?

> Finally a spark - I renamed D:\Mail to D:\Eudora and bingo!
> all was well.

Surely it's not just a renaming of an existing folder -- Eudora
would not suspect to even look for a folder it had never before heard of?

> It seems Win7 is biased against the folder name - perhaps mail is a
> reserved word :-(

A mystery at both your end and mine :)

But "all's well that ends well"
(or "all's well that ends" :)

From: Ardent on
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 04:10:29 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>Could the "permissions" set in XP for D:\Mail
>no longer be valid after installing Win7 over XP?

Windows 7 was a clean install and so no permissions were involved - in
any case in both XP and win7 it was as Administrator that I was
working with.

>Surely it's not just a renaming of an existing folder -- Eudora
>would not suspect to even look for a folder it had never before heard of?

How can Eudora locate a data folder on its own? After renaming D:\Mail
to D:\Eudora I changed propertins of Eudora link to reflect data
location as D:\Eudora like this

"C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora" D:\Eudora

>A mystery at both your end and mine :)

Yes, I have met several instances of such mysteries that have defied
all logic but still worked out :-)

>But "all's well that ends well"
>(or "all's well that ends" :)

Many many thanks for your several responses trying to help me.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: English vv USA
Next: "Junk Mail" problem. help!