From: Clueless on
Hi

In XP and before I always used to have the mail data in D:\Mail folder
while the program remained in C:\Prohram Files\Qualcomm\Eudora.

This does not worl in Windows 7

Where do I keep the data?

--
Thanks for your time

ClieLess

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:03:50 -0600:

> In XP and before I always used to have the mail data in D:\Mail folder
> while the program remained in C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora.

> This does not work in Windows 7

Why? Do you no longer have a D: drive?

If you want better directions to get where you want to go,
you have to paint a sharper image of where you now are!

> Where do I keep the data?

Anywhere _except_ under where program files normally go.

A program-launching "shortcut"
(which you can even create yourself)
may dictate to Eudora exactly what folder
to use as the mail "Data" folder (a single folder,
containing all mailboxes, settings, address books -- in short,
everything that belongs to the user, relating to Eudora mail).

Or, you can let the installer suggest a "standard place,"
described by a phrase such as "user app data,"
which will turn out to be in your Windows user "profile,"
and will then be the default place, if a shortcut
does not already dictate some other location.

From: John H Meyers on
A little light blinked on, and suggested that I add:

USE THE INSTALLER to install Eudora!

Why? Because most of the people who made a mess with Vista
got into that mess by saying "I'm not going to bother
actually _installing_ Eudora, because I know better
than Windows knows -- I'm just going to put everything
exactly where I used to" -- and everything has gone
rapidly downhill from there, much as it does
to people who think a fuel injector
is still the same thing as a carburetor :)

From: Clueless on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:26:22 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>Why? Do you no longer have a D: drive?
>
>If you want better directions to get where you want to go,
>you have to paint a sharper image of where you now are!

I do have D: and when I installed Eudora I indicated the D:\mail
folder as location for mail.

>> Where do I keep the data?
>
>Anywhere _except_ under where program files normally go.

I have tried everywhere, Documents and settings, C:\ProgramData, C:\
and so on.

Nothing works

--
Thanks for your time and attention
ClueLess
From: Stan Bischof on
Clueless <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote:
>>> Where do I keep the data?
>>
>>Anywhere _except_ under where program files normally go.
>
> I have tried everywhere, Documents and settings, C:\ProgramData, C:\
> and so on.
>
> Nothing works

Did you try a shortcut? That's virtually foolproof.

Stan
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: English vv USA