From: James J. Gavan on
Richard wrote:

> """Britain and her colonies (including what is now the United States),
> did not switch to the Gregorian calendar until 1752, when Wednesday
> 2nd September in the Julian calendar dawned as Thursday the 14th in
> the Gregorian."""
>
> As 1773 is after 1752 then it should be the correct day of the
> Gregorian.

Many thanks to the two colonials from the Antipodes for confirmation. I
was anticipating a reply from the 'other' colony.

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: Fred Mobach on
James J. Gavan wrote:

> I have a COBOL method to get the Day of Any Week (after the year
> 1601), regardless of date input format, which can be any of the
> following, and includes spoken language as a parameter :-

While your question has been answered I'll try to add my .2c :
Most questions I had regarding dates has been answered by
Mapping Time, the Calendar and its History
E.G. Richards,
Oxford University Press 1998
--
Fred Mobach - fred(a)mobach.nl
website : https://fred.mobach.nl
From: James J. Gavan on
Fred Mobach wrote:
> James J. Gavan wrote:
>

>>I have a COBOL method to get the Day of Any Week (after the year
>>1601), regardless of date input format, which can be any of the
>>following, and includes spoken language as a parameter :-
>

> While your question has been answered I'll try to add my .2c :
> Most questions I had regarding dates has been answered by
> Mapping Time, the Calendar and its History
> E.G. Richards,
> Oxford University Press 1998

Thanks for that Fred. Seeing that you were from the Netherlands I sent
you a message (2009 Dec 24), about day and month names in Dutch, both
short and long versions - did you get it ?

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: Fred Mobach on
James J. Gavan wrote:

> Fred Mobach wrote:
>> James J. Gavan wrote:
>>

>>>I have a COBOL method to get the Day of Any Week (after the year
>>>1601), regardless of date input format, which can be any of the
>>>following, and includes spoken language as a parameter :-
>>

>> While your question has been answered I'll try to add my .2c :
>> Most questions I had regarding dates has been answered by
>> Mapping Time, the Calendar and its History
>> E.G. Richards,
>> Oxford University Press 1998
>
> Thanks for that Fred. Seeing that you were from the Netherlands I sent
> you a message (2009 Dec 24), about day and month names in Dutch, both
> short and long versions - did you get it ?

No, but I'll check the logs.
Dec 24 21:56:42 offerans sendmail-remote[28513]: ruleset=check_relay,
arg1=idcmail-mo2no.shaw.ca, arg2=127.0.0.2, relay=idcmail-mo2no.shaw.ca
[64.59.134.9], reject=553

Blocked at that time because of a spam run. Already unblocked so please
send your message again.

BTW, in de book mentioned above see Appendix II, the names of the days
of the weeks in 69 languages (long form).

Months names in Dutch (long form) see
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maand#Maanden_in_het_westerse_jaar
The short form consist of the first three letters except maart (mrt).

Names of the days in Dutch (long form) see
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week#Weekdagen
The short form consist of the first two letters, So zondag -> zo.
From: Kerry Liles on
tried to cancel above post (inadvertently directed at wrong poster -
apologies to Pete Dashwood)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Traditional COBOL environment