Prev: It's alive!
Next: TCP Reset
From: David Kennedy on
On 21/10/06 9:54 am, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> So: no joy at all. Anyone got any ideas what I might do to get this
> machine booted, or at least responding a bit more to the outside world?

When I had a similar problem with a 500mhz ibook it finally responded
after being left overnight with no battery and no power connected
followed by the re-set procedure. A bit worrying at the time though...

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: Jon B on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet> wrote:

> That's it, really: got a 600MHz G3 iBook with MacOS X 10.3.9 installed
> on it.
>
> It won't start up. It'll go `bong', and the battery shows life, but
> there's not a flicker from the `power' light, and nothing on the screen.

Could be logic board failure, could be the inverter cable has broken, if
you look very very carefully at the screen during the boot up time can
you see the Apple in the centre of the screen? If you can it is probably
the inverter [1], if you can't, then logic board.

Has the screen ever gone funny like this...
<http://www.arcuk.eclipse.co.uk/apple/picindex.htm>
which is also signs of the logic board failure.

[1] If you tilt the screen you can sometimes get the screen backlight to
come back on.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
From: Rowland McDonnell on
David Kennedy
<davidkennedy(a)nospamtodaythanksverymuchforthekindofferyoubastard.invalid
> wrote:

> On 21/10/06 9:54 am, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> >
> > So: no joy at all. Anyone got any ideas what I might do to get this
> > machine booted, or at least responding a bit more to the outside world?
> >

> When I had a similar problem with a 500mhz ibook it finally responded
> after being left overnight with no battery and no power connected
> followed by the re-set procedure.

That's what got the thing to give the flickering grey screen - but
nothing more exciting than that.

> A bit worrying at the time though...

I'm still rather worried - it's looking like logic board failure. Oh
well.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jon B <black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet> wrote:
>
> > That's it, really: got a 600MHz G3 iBook with MacOS X 10.3.9 installed
> > on it.
> >
> > It won't start up. It'll go `bong', and the battery shows life, but
> > there's not a flicker from the `power' light, and nothing on the screen.
> >
> Could be logic board failure, could be the inverter cable has broken, if
> you look very very carefully at the screen during the boot up time can
> you see the Apple in the centre of the screen?

Nope.

> If you can it is probably
> the inverter [1], if you can't, then logic board.

Damn. I take it that would be rather expensive to have replaced?

> Has the screen ever gone funny like this...
> <http://www.arcuk.eclipse.co.uk/apple/picindex.htm>
> which is also signs of the logic board failure.

That looks a bit like the screen did when I got it to play a little (see
below) - except that the screen was plain grey - the sort of screen you
expect to see in the early stages of bootup.

> [1] If you tilt the screen you can sometimes get the screen backlight to
> come back on.

I left the battery out overnight and reset the power manager after
putting it back in. That got me a flickering grey screen - so the
inverter (and screen in general) is okay.

It's not sounding good, is it?

Rowland.

From: Stuart Bell on
Jon B <black.hole(a)jonbradbury.com> wrote:

> Could be logic board failure,

I think the 'bong' excludes that possibility. At least when my iBook l/b
failed it was total.

STuart
--
Try stuartsmacs at dsl dot pipex dot com to email me.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: It's alive!
Next: TCP Reset