From: T i m on
It being broadband on Dad's eMac (OS 9.2)!

So, Mum phones me at 08:15 to tell me the BT Home Hub had arrived
(what's the rush, they haven't had BB for 70+ years) but the letter
said it would be enabled between 13 and 18:00.

I went round there, plugged the hub in / on and seemed to get all the
right lights up.

I re-set the Belkin Ethernet Bridge (someone pass my thanks onto Bob W
please, can't myself he killfiled me) and used my Dell Laptop to
reconfigure it to suit the new Wireless settings (SSID: Fruitbowl) ;-)

Plug that into the eMac (that I now know is an A1002?) and IE wanted
to dial-up still.

Found a panel, set it to TCPIP, tried again .. Woah .. nearly blew
it's little Apple socks off .. 8Mb/sec!

Outlook was able to get his POP mail from his old Freeserve / Wanadoo
/ Orange dial up account but I didn't have time to get the outgoing
mail (via BTInternet) to work. I'll try again in the morning.

Thanks to all who said it should be 'ok' .. so far so good ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

From: Bob on
In article <r5rcj2hf16ljo95nf4mmhib0a31aofad7q(a)4ax.com>
T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:

> It being broadband on Dad's eMac (OS 9.2)!
>
> So, Mum phones me at 08:15 to tell me the BT Home Hub had arrived
> (what's the rush, they haven't had BB for 70+ years) but the letter
> said it would be enabled between 13 and 18:00.
>
> I went round there, plugged the hub in / on and seemed to get all the
> right lights up.
>
> I re-set the Belkin Ethernet Bridge (someone pass my thanks onto Bob W
> please, can't myself he killfiled me) and used my Dell Laptop to
> reconfigure it to suit the new Wireless settings (SSID: Fruitbowl) ;-)
>
> Plug that into the eMac (that I now know is an A1002?) and IE wanted
> to dial-up still.
>
> Found a panel, set it to TCPIP, tried again .. Woah .. nearly blew
> it's little Apple socks off .. 8Mb/sec!
>
> Outlook was able to get his POP mail from his old Freeserve / Wanadoo
> / Orange dial up account but I didn't have time to get the outgoing
> mail (via BTInternet) to work. I'll try again in the morning.
>
> Thanks to all who said it should be 'ok' .. so far so good ;-)
>
> All the best ..
>
> T i m

Easy now..... deep breaths, deep breaths, and drink this wee dram of
brandy!

From: David Kennedy on

Hit it with a stick.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: T i m on
On 18 Oct 2006 18:57:38 GMT, Bob Hardrope wrote:

>In article <r5rcj2hf16ljo95nf4mmhib0a31aofad7q(a)4ax.com>
>T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> It being broadband on Dad's eMac (OS 9.2)!
>>
>> So, Mum phones me at 08:15 to tell me the BT Home Hub had arrived
>> (what's the rush, they haven't had BB for 70+ years) but the letter
>> said it would be enabled between 13 and 18:00.
>>
>> I went round there, plugged the hub in / on and seemed to get all the
>> right lights up.
>>
>> I re-set the Belkin Ethernet Bridge (someone pass my thanks onto Bob W
>> please, can't myself he killfiled me) and used my Dell Laptop to
>> reconfigure it to suit the new Wireless settings (SSID: Fruitbowl) ;-)
>>
>> Plug that into the eMac (that I now know is an A1002?) and IE wanted
>> to dial-up still.
>>
>> Found a panel, set it to TCPIP, tried again .. Woah .. nearly blew
>> it's little Apple socks off .. 8Mb/sec!
>>
>> Outlook was able to get his POP mail from his old Freeserve / Wanadoo
>> / Orange dial up account but I didn't have time to get the outgoing
>> mail (via BTInternet) to work. I'll try again in the morning.
>>
>> Thanks to all who said it should be 'ok' .. so far so good ;-)
>>
>> All the best ..
>>
>> T i m
>
>Easy now..... deep breaths, deep breaths, and drink this wee dram of
>brandy!

I did Bob thanks .. (well, a couple of Special Brews anyway).

So, do we stick with Outlook for Mac or is there a better pop mail
client built into 9.2?

Do we stick with IE for Mac or is iCab 'better' (or summat else)?

If the eMac is an A1002 (is that a model number [1].. it was faintly
printed on a small panel *underneath* the thing .. in a locked filing
cabinet in a basement ... ), what Airport thingy would I need please?

All the best ..

T i m

[1] Model Number A1002, EMC No 1955, CA95014 ?

From: T i m on
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:01:30 +0100, David Kennedy
<davidkennedy(a)nospamtodaythanksverymuchforthekindofferyoubastard.invalid>
wrote:

>Hit it with a stick.

Oh how I would have loved to this afternoon David ...

I found a BT web page on 'how to configure Outlook for Mac' and
already had the Outlook account settings open on the fairly small
screen on this eMac. Dad has the res set fairly low (he's quite old
now) so no page fits the display very well, so there I was, opening
and closing windows in an effort to try to get to see both pages etc

Then I tried to copy a server setting from one app to another .. I
could highlight it, Edit > Copy .. but when I went to the next app,
click on the dialogue box .. Edit > no paste .. ;-(

Bound to be something I was doing wrong though .. these things are so
simple / intuitive. But, I'll persevere ..

All the best ..

T i m

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5