From: Ian McCall on
My 'resurrected' disk lasted less than two days then.

This time I'm trying to start up in verbose mode. It gets as far as
reporting IOBlueToothPCIController, then dies.

I get the following message:

disks0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)
Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 5, trying /sbin/mach_init
disks0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)
Load of /sbin/machinit failed, errno 5

A quick search around shows that others have seen this 0xe0030005
message, and it's always been a dead disk.

<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=disk0s2+0xe0030005&btnG=Search&meta=>

I'm utterly speechless. I can't live with this kind of unreliability -
once again the machine was boiling hot. It's a design flaw, and I'm
going to start talking about refunds tomorrow. I am less than hair's
breadth away from simply asking for the money back and then going off
to buy a ThinkPad with Ubuntu on it.

Cheers (sort of),
Ian

From: Odie Ferrous on
Ian McCall wrote:

> My 'resurrected' disk lasted less than two days then.
>
> This time I'm trying to start up in verbose mode. It gets as far as
> reporting IOBlueToothPCIController, then dies.
>
> I get the following message:
>
> disks0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)
> Load of /sbin/launchd, errno 5, trying /sbin/mach_init
> disks0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)
> Load of /sbin/machinit failed, errno 5
>
> A quick search around shows that others have seen this 0xe0030005
> message, and it's always been a dead disk.
>
> <http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=disk0s2+0xe0030005&btnG=Search&meta=>
>
> I'm utterly speechless. I can't live with this kind of unreliability -
> once again the machine was boiling hot. It's a design flaw, and I'm
> going to start talking about refunds tomorrow. I am less than hair's
> breadth away from simply asking for the money back and then going off
> to buy a ThinkPad with Ubuntu on it.

Unfortunately, the issue of effective cooling is something rarely
considered these days - be it Apple, IBM, Dell, Compaq.

The vast majority of machines ship without active cooling to the hard
drives. Laptop drives aren't as susceptible to heat failure as their
desktop counterparts, but what with the additional heat generated by
modern laptops (dual processors, especially) there are bound to be
problems.

I am ever thankful that I have never been in a position to need a
laptop. If I did have to use one, it would be kept in a concrete bunker
overnight...

I certainly wouldn't touch the latest generation Apple laptops.
Anything that gets uncomfortably hot on the outside is going to be
scarily hot internally.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
From: D.M. Procida on
Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm utterly speechless. I can't live with this kind of unreliability -
> > once again the machine was boiling hot. It's a design flaw, and I'm
> > going to start talking about refunds tomorrow. I am less than hair's
> > breadth away from simply asking for the money back and then going off
> > to buy a ThinkPad with Ubuntu on it.
> >

> Unfortunately, the issue of effective cooling is something rarely
> considered these days - be it Apple, IBM, Dell, Compaq.

I know you have a bee in your bonnet about cooling, but that is just
plainly not true.

First of all, these companies - whose billion-dollar existences depend
upon their being able to sell machines which don't hit the market with
design flaws that over-cook their delicate innards - know quite well
that they are always a design-flaw away from going down the pan
humiliatingly. They consider cooling just as carefully as they consider
everything else, from the exploding batteries to leaking capacitors. As
those examples show, for one reason or another things don't always work
out, but to imagine that they don't consider as many such issues as they
have had the opportunity to be aware of is absurd.

Secondly, we know quite well that in Apple's case in particular the
question of cooling is and has always been a real issue. Apple famously
purchased a Cray X-MP in the 1980s; one of its first jobs was to model
airflow in the cases of the new Mac II machine (equally famously, it
turned out that Cray were using Macs to design their computers). With
the 2nd-generation iMacs and the Cube, Apple demonstrated that their
thinking about cooling was as inventive and central to their projects as
anything else. The PowerMac G5s and the iMac G5s, just in the complexity
of their cooling systems, make it quite clear that it's an issue of
prime importance.

Daniele
From: David Baxter on
D.M. Procida wrote:
> The PowerMac G5s and the iMac G5s, just in the complexity
> of their cooling systems, make it quite clear that it's an issue of
> prime importance.

Sorry, but I really have to disagree. Comparing a PowerMac G5 tower with
a MacBook Pro is not a fair comparison. One is a large tower with plenty
of room for cooling and airflow, the other is not. Just because Apple
have designed decent cooling in one of their systems does not mean
they're going to that across their entire range of products.

If (and I say if, because I don't own a MacBook Pro so I'm not speaking
from first-hand experience) MacBook Pros really are getting so hot that
hard drives are failing, then that is a serious issue. Full stop.

I have personally seen this happen in a Dell Inspiron 1100 where the CPU
was getting to about 70C and the hard drive to about 64C. Turned out the
CPU's heatsink and fan needed a good clean and some decent heatsink
paste, which brought both temperatures down to the 50ies. But,
overheating in Dells is a known issue, hence applications such as i8kfangui.

Dave
--
(remove spamblock or reply to group)
From: Woody on
David Baxter <taemar(a)spamblock.atlanticrealm.com> wrote:

> D.M. Procida wrote:
> > The PowerMac G5s and the iMac G5s, just in the complexity
> > of their cooling systems, make it quite clear that it's an issue of
> > prime importance.
>
> Sorry, but I really have to disagree. Comparing a PowerMac G5 tower with
> a MacBook Pro is not a fair comparison. One is a large tower with plenty
> of room for cooling and airflow, the other is not.

Which one??

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com