From: t.d.russell2 on
Hi, I've recently purchased an Apple iMac and upgraded to broadband
from dial-up at the same time. The modem supplied by the internet
provider works fine, I am connected to it at the moment while I post
this. So the ADSL line works fine. However when I plug the ethernet
cable into the router I can't see it from my iMac, presumeably because
it's not set up yet? But even hard-wiring the router to the computer
doesn't work. The accompaning CD has a setup guide which only says to
try opening a browser window, and you should see a Netgear Welcome
Screen, ... but instead I get the page telling me I'm nt connected to
the internet.

Has anyone else got a Mac and tried using this Netgear router? If so
how did you do it? All the tutorials on the CD seem to be .exe files, I
am wondering if I should try and get hold of a PC to set up the router
and then once it's set up I can use my Mac - but I feel I shouldn't
have to do this. Any help much appreciated!

From: D.M. Procida on
<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've recently purchased an Apple iMac and upgraded to broadband
> from dial-up at the same time. The modem supplied by the internet
> provider works fine, I am connected to it at the moment while I post
> this. So the ADSL line works fine. However when I plug the ethernet
> cable into the router I can't see it from my iMac, presumeably because
> it's not set up yet? But even hard-wiring the router to the computer
> doesn't work.

As soon as you connect your iMac to the router it should pick up an IP
address from the router. I don't know what you know about Macs, however,
can you tell us what Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network > Show:
Network status has to say?

Also tell us what Applications > Utilities > System Profiler > Network
has to say about Ethernet.

Followups set.

Daniele
From: t.d.russell2 on
D.M. Procida wrote:
> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I've recently purchased an Apple iMac and upgraded to broadband
> > from dial-up at the same time. The modem supplied by the internet
> > provider works fine, I am connected to it at the moment while I post
> > this. So the ADSL line works fine. However when I plug the ethernet
> > cable into the router I can't see it from my iMac, presumeably because
> > it's not set up yet? But even hard-wiring the router to the computer
> > doesn't work.
>
> As soon as you connect your iMac to the router it should pick up an IP
> address from the router. I don't know what you know about Macs, however,
> can you tell us what Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network > Show:
> Network status has to say?
>
> Also tell us what Applications > Utilities > System Profiler > Network
> has to say about Ethernet.
>
> Followups set.
>
> Daniele

Thanks for swift reply.

Network status gives me a green light for the built-in ethernet (when
hard-wired to the netgear router) and says "Bult-in ethernet is
currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.2. You are connected
to the internet via Built-in Ethernet".

There is a lot of information in system profiler - can't tell what's
relevant and what isn't. It confirms the same IP address. It tells me
the router IP address is 109.168.1.1. I can see my MAC address. What
else might be helpful to know?

Tom

From: gort on
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:45:59 -0700, t.d.russell2 wrote:

> D.M. Procida wrote:
>> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I've recently purchased an Apple iMac and upgraded to broadband
>> > from dial-up at the same time. The modem supplied by the internet
>> > provider works fine, I am connected to it at the moment while I post
>> > this. So the ADSL line works fine. However when I plug the ethernet
>> > cable into the router I can't see it from my iMac, presumeably because
>> > it's not set up yet? But even hard-wiring the router to the computer
>> > doesn't work.
>>
>> As soon as you connect your iMac to the router it should pick up an IP
>> address from the router. I don't know what you know about Macs, however,
>> can you tell us what Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network > Show:
>> Network status has to say?
>>
>> Also tell us what Applications > Utilities > System Profiler > Network
>> has to say about Ethernet.
>>
>> Followups set.
>>
>> Daniele
>

> Thanks for swift reply.
>
> Network status gives me a green light for the built-in ethernet (when
> hard-wired to the netgear router) and says "Bult-in ethernet is
> currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.2. You are connected
> to the internet via Built-in Ethernet".
>
> There is a lot of information in system profiler - can't tell what's
> relevant and what isn't. It confirms the same IP address. It tells me
> the router IP address is 109.168.1.1. I can see my MAC address. What
> else might be helpful to know?
>
> Tom

I think you mean 192.168.1.1 ?

You need to fire up a browser and put that IP address, 192.168.1.1, in the
url bar. This should then display a setup page from the router. On this
page you will need to enter your username and password that your ISP gave
you. Click on save and reboot and the router should connect you.

Dave

From: D.M. Procida on
<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Network status gives me a green light for the built-in ethernet (when
> hard-wired to the netgear router) and says "Bult-in ethernet is
> currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.2. You are connected
> to the internet via Built-in Ethernet".

That's good. It means the router has given your iMac an IP address of
192.168.1.2. Your router and the iMac are indeed talking to one another.

> There is a lot of information in system profiler - can't tell what's
> relevant and what isn't. It confirms the same IP address. It tells me
> the router IP address is 109.168.1.1. I can see my MAC address. What
> else might be helpful to know?

Are you sure about that address? It is almost certain to be 192.168.1.1,

In fact, if you enter 192.168.1.1 into a web browser, you will get the
configuration page of the router.

The username to configure the router is most likely "admin"; the
password is most likely "password" or "1234". Good idea to change these,
by the way.

However, since your iMac has picked up an IP address from the router,
you shouldn't need to do anything more. This router, what model is it?

Daniele
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Xserve: fans speeds?