From: D.M. Procida on
<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> > In fact, if you enter 192.168.1.1 into a web browser, you will get the
> > configuration page of the router.
> >
> > The username to configure the router is most likely "admin"; the
> > password is most likely "password" or "1234". Good idea to change these,
> > by the way.
> >
> > However, since your iMac has picked up an IP address from the router,
> > you shouldn't need to do anything more. This router, what model is it?
>
> The model is Netgear WGT624 v3.
> I've not at any point seen any screen asking me to enter a username or
> password. I've tried resetting the router but obviously to no avail.

It's not an ADSL router, for a start. How are you planning to connect it
to your ADSL line? Does your ADSL modem have ethernet (fairly unlikely)?
If it doesn't, this router is not what you need. You will need an ADSL
router.

Having reset the router, what do you see at 192.168.1.1 in your browser?

Daniele
From: t.d.russell2 on

D.M. Procida wrote:
> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > You need to fire up a browser and put that IP address, 192.168.1.1, in the
> > > url bar. This should then display a setup page from the router. On this
> > > page you will need to enter your username and password that your ISP gave
> > > you. Click on save and reboot and the router should connect you.
> >
> > Yes, you're right, I meant 192 ! Don't know what I was thinking.
> >
> > When I paste that into the URL bar I get a message simply saying:
> > "(169.254.189.65) is managing this device".
>
> It means that you previously must have got logged into the router (from
> a self-assigned 169.x.x.x IP address - I don't even know how that's
> possible) and it thinks you still are. So either wait, or reboot the
> router, and try again.
>
> Daniele

This is interesting - you see I have been given this router by a friend
as he has another and this is his "spare". So this must be his IP
address? But I've tried resetting it - pushing the reset button for 10
seconds, and the other way also; unplugging the router and then
resetting it, keeping the button pressed in for 20 seconds after
powering it up again. Perhaps I've not reset it properly - do I need to
do something other than the reset button, like some software reset or
something?

From: D.M. Procida on
<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> > It means that you previously must have got logged into the router (from
> > a self-assigned 169.x.x.x IP address - I don't even know how that's
> > possible) and it thinks you still are. So either wait, or reboot the
> > router, and try again.

> This is interesting - you see I have been given this router by a friend
> as he has another and this is his "spare". So this must be his IP
> address?

No. It means it has been used in the last few minutes.

A 169.x.x.x address is one a device assigns to itself if it can't find
one by other means.

> But I've tried resetting it - pushing the reset button for 10
> seconds, and the other way also; unplugging the router and then
> resetting it, keeping the button pressed in for 20 seconds after
> powering it up again. Perhaps I've not reset it properly - do I need to
> do something other than the reset button, like some software reset or
> something?

You're getting that message even after rebooting the router and trying
to connect to it again? That doesn't make any sense.

Daniele
From: Bob Wardrope on
D.M. Procida wrote:
> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> You're getting that message even after rebooting the router and trying
> to connect to it again? That doesn't make any sense.

It might, if t.d.russell2 was a sock puppet/ wind up merchant.

Bob W
From: gort on

> This is interesting - you see I have been given this router by a friend
> as he has another and this is his "spare". So this must be his IP
> address? But I've tried resetting it - pushing the reset button for 10
> seconds, and the other way also; unplugging the router and then
> resetting it, keeping the button pressed in for 20 seconds after
> powering it up again. Perhaps I've not reset it properly - do I need to
> do something other than the reset button, like some software reset or
> something?

Does your friend use winXP as that looks like the default address XP uses
when it can not get a IP address from a DHCP server?.

Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Xserve: fans speeds?