From: t.d.russell2 on

D.M. Procida wrote:
> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Tried the other link (at the bottom of the page!) and after a minute of
> > thinking it took me to the setup page of the router. Hurrah! But alas,
> > despite me entering all the settings (well, most of them were
> > automatically 'discovered') I still cannot connect.
>
> Normally, you wouldn't need to enter any settings. However, can you find
> a page (status page?) where the router says what its
> external/WAN/Internet IP address is?
>
> > Also discovered upon restarting the computer, the wireless card could now
> > 'see' the router. My iBook as well as the iMac have the green light on
> > system prefs -> network for seeing airport and connecting to the network
> > -- but both are seemingly unable to connect to the internet via this
> > netgear router. What settigns could be wrong?
>
> I suspect that the Netgear router and the ADSL router aren't getiing on
> too well.
>
> Daniele

All I can find as regards to IP addresses is that the router seems to
be 192.18.1.1 and the two computers I've used to connect to it are .1.2
and .1.3. The LAN TCP/IP setu llink gives the IP address as
192.168.1.1 again, the box is checked for using router as DHCP server,
and the range of P addresses are gives as 192.168.1.2 to .1.254. Had
enough for today will try again another night. Thanks for all your
help, hopefully will get it sorted one way or another soon!

From: D.M. Procida on
<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Normally, you wouldn't need to enter any settings. However, can you find
> > a page (status page?) where the router says what its
> > external/WAN/Internet IP address is?

> All I can find as regards to IP addresses is that the router seems to
> be 192.18.1.1 and the two computers I've used to connect to it are .1.2
> and .1.3. The LAN TCP/IP setu llink gives the IP address as
> 192.168.1.1 again, the box is checked for using router as DHCP server,
> and the range of P addresses are gives as 192.168.1.2 to .1.254. Had
> enough for today will try again another night. Thanks for all your
> help, hopefully will get it sorted one way or another soon!

Those are all LAN settings and status. We need to know about WAN
settings, for the other side of the router.

Daniele
From: Graham on

<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

> D.M. Procida wrote:
>> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > "You are connected to your NETGEAR wireliess router! Next, we will
>> > guide you through connecting to the internet and enabling your wireless
>> > network." [click OK to proceed]
>> >
>> > The next screen: "Detecting Connection Type on Internet Port... Please
>> > wait a moment...."
>>
>> OK, it won't detect anything on the Internet/WAN port because you have
>> disconnected the modem.
>>
>> > To answer your questions, yes my iMac has wireless and yes it's
>> > switched on (!), the model of the modem is a BT Voyager 210.
>>
>> That modem is actually an ADSL router, which complicates matters.
>> Sometimes things don't get on too well with two routers connected in
>> series. Still, we can get to that later. With the ADSL router connected
>> to the WAN port of the Netgear router, you should get the activity
>> lights on both devices flickering away, and the ADSL router should give
>> the Netgear router a WAN IP address.
>>
>> Do you have any other links to click on in the web page of the Netgear
>> router?

You do not need TWO routers.

Discard the Netgear router.

Connect the Mac directly to the BT Voyager 210 using the ethernet cable.
Inspect your Mac to find out the IP address of the default gateway that has
been issued to it by the DHCP server in the BT router. Normally this is
192.168.1.1. Open your browser at that address and ensure your username and
password (as provided by your ISP) are entered correctly. You should then
have an internet connection.

The problem with the BT router is that it has only one ethernet port. If
you need to connect more than one computer you need a network switch.
5-port switches are available for about a tenner ...

If you want wireless, replace the BT router with a wireless ADSL router, or
add a wireless access point.

However, I think the Netgear router might provide wireless access for you;
but you need to understand what is going on, so probably you need to learn
quite a bit more about networking.

The netgear router "routes" between two separate networks, both implemented
with an ethernet connection. On the "Internal" network it also provides the
wireless service and could provide DHCP. On the "External" network it
expects to connect to another router that provides the internet
connectivity. It is ideal for people who get their broadband service from a
cable/TV supplier rather than via ADSL over a BT phone line.

The two networks MUST be different i.e. have different IP addresses.

You may have to set up the external network paramaters manually.

Step 1. Configure the BT router as above. Then switch everything off - the
routers and the Mac.

Step 2. Connect the Mac to the netgear router using an ethernet cable. Make
sure you connect to one of the four "internal" ports.

Step 3. Reset the Netgear router to manufacturer's default - Google will
find you the manual showing how to do this. It is reasonable to assume that
this will enable its DHCP service - but check with the manual. If DHCP is
off, follow the manual to turn it on.

Step 4. Switch on your Mac, and find out the address of the default
gateway. Put that address in your browser and you should see the management
page for the router. Make a note of the network address. If its the same
as the network address of the BT router you MUST change one or the other.
Since you are on the Netgear management page change that. Fix the router's
internal address (for example to 192.168.100.1 mask 255.255.255.0) Set the
DCHP scope and range - also the default gateway. Do whatever is necessary
to save these parameters. This will break the connection to the Mac, so
renew the lease on the Mac - there will be a command to achieve this, but
rebooting the Mac might be simpler. Verify that the Mac now communicates
with the router at the new default gateway, which will be 192.168.100.1.

Step 5. On the management page of the Netgear router, select the "external"
interface, and find out how it is configured. If it says "auto" it will use
the DHCP server in the BT router. If not, specify an address on the network
provided by the BT router, ideally outside its DHCP range. For example
192.168.1.200 mask 255.255.255.0. Make sure the default gateway is set to
point to the BT router at 192.168.1.1. Connect an ethernet cable from the
single "external" port on the netgear router to the ethernet port on the BT
router and switch on the BT router. After a minute you should have a
connection to the internet.

You could use "traceroute" to show you what happens. Suppose you ask for
158.152.1.76 (a Demon time server). Your Mac knows that isn't on its local
network, so it sends it to its default gateway. In my example this is
192.168.100.1 - the internal address of the Netgear router. The Netgear
knows it isn't on either of its local networks, so it sends the packet to
its default gateway - the BT router at 192.168.1.1. The BT router has its
default gateway - somewhere (logically) in your local phone exchange so
sends the packet there. Other routers do their bit until the packet gets to
158.152.1.76.

Hope this helps ...

--
Graham

From: D.M. Procida on
Graham <graham(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Do you have any other links to click on in the web page of the Netgear
> >> router?
>
> You do not need TWO routers.
>
> Discard the Netgear router.

That's not really necessary, though it isn't really going to help much.

Also remember that the Netgear is a wireless router.

> The two networks MUST be different i.e. have different IP addresses.
>
> You may have to set up the external network paramaters manually.

I suspect that this may turn out to be (part of) the problem, which is
why we need to find out what the WAN IP address of the Netgear is.

I'm not familiar with that model, but several routers can be put into
wireless access point mode, and failing that, something akin to it can
be kludged by connected the ADSL router's LAN side to the wireless
router's LAN side, and preventing the latter from acting like a router.

Daniele
From: Bob Wardrope on
t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com wrote:

<snip ADSL woe>

> All I can find as regards to IP addresses is that the router seems to
> be 192.18.1.1 and the two computers I've used to connect to it are .1.2
> and .1.3. The LAN TCP/IP setu llink gives the IP address as
> 192.168.1.1 again, the box is checked for using router as DHCP server,
> and the range of P addresses are gives as 192.168.1.2 to .1.254. Had
> enough for today will try again another night. Thanks for all your
> help, hopefully will get it sorted one way or another soon!

The problem may be that the Voyager and Netgear both have an initial LAN
IP address - 192.168.1.1 and both come configured to act as DHCP servers.

Connect the Voyager to one of the Macs, access the configuration screen
by keying 192.168.1.1 and if possible[1], set the Voyager to bridging
mode and change the Voyager's LAN IP address[2] to something other than
192.168.1.1 (192.168.100.1 should be ok). Apply these changes then power
down and disconnect the Voyager from the Mac.

Connect the Voyager to the WAN port of the Netgear, connect a Mac to the
Netgear. Switch on the Voyager, Netgear then the Mac.

Hopefully the Mac will have obtained an IP address in the range
192.168.1.2 - 254 from the Netgear, if it was set for Configure Using DHCP.

If the the Mac has an IP address in that range -

Access the Netgear's configuration page by typing 192.168.1.1, User -
'admin' password - 'whatever you've set it as', then set up the login/
connection details for you ADSL connection. Apply the settings.

Try loading www.bbc.co.uk

If that doesn't work-

Ditch the 210 and Netgear and buy a Wired/Wireless ADSL Router. ;-)

[3]

Bob W

[1] couldn't confirm if this was possible, no access to the Voyager's
manual.
[2] should allow access to the Voyager through the Netgear
[3] This post may be total bollocks
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Xserve: fans speeds?