From: gort on

> However, since your iMac has picked up an IP address from the router,
> you shouldn't need to do anything more. This router, what model is it?
>
> Daniele

I think he will need to enter his user name and pasword, Daniele as I have
told hime in my post.

DAve

From: t.d.russell2 on

gort wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:45:59 -0700, t.d.russell2 wrote:
>
> > D.M. Procida wrote:

> >> As soon as you connect your iMac to the router it should pick up an IP
> >> address from the router. I don't know what you know about Macs, however,
> >> can you tell us what Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network > Show:
> >> Network status has to say?
> >>
> >> Also tell us what Applications > Utilities > System Profiler > Network
> >> has to say about Ethernet.
> >>
> >> Followups set.
> >>
> >> Daniele
> >

> > Thanks for swift reply.
> >
> > Network status gives me a green light for the built-in ethernet (when
> > hard-wired to the netgear router) and says "Bult-in ethernet is
> > currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.2. You are connected
> > to the internet via Built-in Ethernet".
> >
> > There is a lot of information in system profiler - can't tell what's
> > relevant and what isn't. It confirms the same IP address. It tells me
> > the router IP address is 109.168.1.1. I can see my MAC address. What
> > else might be helpful to know?
> >
> > Tom
>
> I think you mean 192.168.1.1 ?
>
> You need to fire up a browser and put that IP address, 192.168.1.1, in the
> url bar. This should then display a setup page from the router. On this
> page you will need to enter your username and password that your ISP gave
> you. Click on save and reboot and the router should connect you.
>
> Dave

Yes, you're right, I meant 192 ! Don't know what I was thinking.

When I paste that into the URL bar I get a message simply saying:
"(169.254.189.65) is managing this device".

Don't know who or what that is/means .....

From: t.d.russell2 on

D.M. Procida wrote:
> <t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Network status gives me a green light for the built-in ethernet (when
> > hard-wired to the netgear router) and says "Bult-in ethernet is
> > currently active and has the IP address 192.168.1.2. You are connected
> > to the internet via Built-in Ethernet".
>
> That's good. It means the router has given your iMac an IP address of
> 192.168.1.2. Your router and the iMac are indeed talking to one another.
>
> > There is a lot of information in system profiler - can't tell what's
> > relevant and what isn't. It confirms the same IP address. It tells me
> > the router IP address is 109.168.1.1. I can see my MAC address. What
> > else might be helpful to know?
>
> Are you sure about that address? It is almost certain to be 192.168.1.1,
>
> In fact, if you enter 192.168.1.1 into a web browser, you will get the
> configuration page of the router.
>
> The username to configure the router is most likely "admin"; the
> password is most likely "password" or "1234". Good idea to change these,
> by the way.
>
> However, since your iMac has picked up an IP address from the router,
> you shouldn't need to do anything more. This router, what model is it?
>
> Daniele

The model is Netgear WGT624 v3.
I've not at any point seen any screen asking me to enter a username or
password. I've tried resetting the router but obviously to no avail.

From: D.M. Procida on
gort <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> > However, since your iMac has picked up an IP address from the router,
> > you shouldn't need to do anything more. This router, what model is it?

> I think he will need to enter his user name and pasword, Daniele as I have
> told hime in my post.

He won't be entering anything until he gets logged into the router,
which is what I was explaining how to do. Then he can start worrying
about ISP ADSL login details. (We don't even know if he has an ADSL
router, which is why I asked.)

Daniele
From: D.M. Procida on
<t.d.russell2(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> > You need to fire up a browser and put that IP address, 192.168.1.1, in the
> > url bar. This should then display a setup page from the router. On this
> > page you will need to enter your username and password that your ISP gave
> > you. Click on save and reboot and the router should connect you.
>
> Yes, you're right, I meant 192 ! Don't know what I was thinking.
>
> When I paste that into the URL bar I get a message simply saying:
> "(169.254.189.65) is managing this device".

It means that you previously must have got logged into the router (from
a self-assigned 169.x.x.x IP address - I don't even know how that's
possible) and it thinks you still are. So either wait, or reboot the
router, and try again.

Daniele
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7