From: Dave O'Heare on
A friend of mine reports that he just did a charity gig where one of the
many acts supplied backline. Said act, apparently signed to a recording
company, then attempted to dictate the rules and setup for the show
("Doesn't matter that there is an 80-voice choir coming, our gear goes
center stage and stays there all gig", "We need a full soundcheck for our
30-minute spot in this festival with 5-minute changeover times between
acts", that sort of thing.)

How does one deal with folks like that? Any hints, suggestions, etc? I'll
admit to running into similar problems occasionally, but I've been
fortunate that I could refer the diva to my superior.

Dave O'H
From: Arkansan Raider on
Dave O'Heare wrote:
> A friend of mine reports that he just did a charity gig where one of the
> many acts supplied backline. Said act, apparently signed to a recording
> company, then attempted to dictate the rules and setup for the show
> ("Doesn't matter that there is an 80-voice choir coming, our gear goes
> center stage and stays there all gig", "We need a full soundcheck for our
> 30-minute spot in this festival with 5-minute changeover times between
> acts", that sort of thing.)
>
> How does one deal with folks like that? Any hints, suggestions, etc? I'll
> admit to running into similar problems occasionally, but I've been
> fortunate that I could refer the diva to my superior.
>
> Dave O'H

One of my many prayers as a performer is that I never turn into *that*
diva performer. I've opened for a few like that. It's friggin' embarrassing.

I feel your pain, Dave.

---Jeff
From: www.locoworks.com on
On Jul 4, 10:19 pm, Arkansan Raider <yom...(a)yomama.com> wrote:
> Dave O'Heare wrote:
> > A friend of mine reports that he just did a charity gig where one of the
> > many acts supplied backline. Said act, apparently signed to a recording
> > company, then attempted to dictate the rules and setup for the show
> > ("Doesn't matter that there is an 80-voice choir coming, our gear goes
> > center stage and stays there all gig", "We need a full soundcheck for our
> > 30-minute spot in this festival with 5-minute changeover times between
> > acts", that sort of thing.)
>
> > How does one deal with folks like that?  Any hints, suggestions, etc?  I'll
> > admit to running into similar problems occasionally, but I've been
> > fortunate that I could refer the diva to my superior.
>
> > Dave O'H
>
> One of my many prayers as a performer is that I never turn into *that*
> diva performer. I've opened for a few like that. It's friggin' embarrassing.
>
> I feel your pain, Dave.
>
> ---Jeff

Just tell them, "Sure, no problem, no sweat." And then do what needs
to be done. What are they going to do, fire you?
From: Steve M on
"Dave O'Heare" wrote
> ("Doesn't matter that there is an 80-voice choir coming, our gear goes
> center stage and stays there all gig", "We need a full soundcheck for our
> 30-minute spot in this festival with 5-minute changeover times between
> acts", that sort of thing.)
>
> How does one deal with folks like that?

It depends on ones' position in the food chain. If I was just doing
audio on the gig, I would hand it off to the production manager
or the promoter. The person who hired the act is in the best position
to control the logistics of the gig. It also makes a difference as to who
is the headliner. I've dealt with opening acts who were overly demanding
about their gear not moving once set up. I've told them, when they're the
headliner they get preference. As an opener they need to defer to the main
act.

I did an outdoor festival type gig on Saturday. Six bands in five hours.
Only
one band got a soundcheck, because they showed up on time. The rest got
the 'on the fly' treatment. Not one person gave attitude or displayed ego
issues. All went smooth. The same band who showed early stayed and helped
me take down and load out my PA after the show. This looks to become a
monthly
event and I'll gladly do it again.

--
Steve McQ

From: alex on
On 05/07/2010 11:04, Steve M wrote:
> "Dave O'Heare" wrote
>> ("Doesn't matter that there is an 80-voice choir coming, our gear goes
>> center stage and stays there all gig", "We need a full soundcheck for our
>> 30-minute spot in this festival with 5-minute changeover times between
>> acts", that sort of thing.)
>>
>> How does one deal with folks like that?
>>

> It depends on ones' position in the food chain. If I was just doing
> audio on the gig, I would hand it off to the production manager
> or the promoter. The person who hired the act is in the best position
> to control the logistics of the gig. It also makes a difference as to who
> is the headliner. I've dealt with opening acts who were overly demanding
> about their gear not moving once set up. I've told them, when they're the
> headliner they get preference. As an opener they need to defer to the main
> act.
>
> I did an outdoor festival type gig on Saturday. Six bands in five hours.
> Only
> one band got a soundcheck, because they showed up on time. The rest got
> the 'on the fly' treatment. Not one person gave attitude or displayed ego
> issues. All went smooth. The same band who showed early stayed and helped
> me take down and load out my PA after the show. This looks to become a
> monthly
> event and I'll gladly do it again.
>
> --
> Steve McQ

yes, this is production job.
If soundmans are dealing with the problem, is usually already too late
to find a way out.
I don't want to be blamed for different treatment on stage not caused by
me, this has to be very clear to all in advance. They have to protest
with production.

With many groups i always try to make just one full check, usually with
the band who will play first, and everything else will go on the fly.
What i always suggest to bands is to arrange a song, to begin with, that
will help unknown engineers to set up sounds on the fly. A sort of
"intro" with no crowded tempo or spectrum, where instruments are coming
in one at time. This will pay almost everytime.

alex
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: semi's for audio