From: Artist on
I have a point of confusion in the document:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/network-administrator/ch-bind.html
under "8.4.2.1 zone files." It appears there is discrepancy in a file
name extension here. This section refers to the path and filename
"/var/named/192.168.100.db" and gives an example of it. If I understand
correctly an entry in the file "/etc/named.conf" is supposed to point to
the file /var/named/192.168.100.db" so bind can find it. But this
filename is not present in the given "/etc/named.conf" example. Instead
there is the filename "192.168.100.rev". Is this a mistake? If so which
filename extension is correct, rev or db? If not then how does bind find
the file?

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Artist wrote:
> I have a point of confusion in the document:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/network-administrator/ch-bind.html
> under "8.4.2.1 zone files." It appears there is discrepancy in a file
> name extension here. This section refers to the path and filename
> "/var/named/192.168.100.db" and gives an example of it. If I understand
> correctly an entry in the file "/etc/named.conf" is supposed to point to
> the file /var/named/192.168.100.db" so bind can find it. But this
> filename is not present in the given "/etc/named.conf" example. Instead
> there is the filename "192.168.100.rev". Is this a mistake? If so which
> filename extension is correct, rev or db? If not then how does bind find
> the file?

you can call your files what you want.

As long as they are consistent in name and matching named.conf entry.
..