From: Neil Jones on
Hello,

I have the following setup.

Eeepc 1505HA
OS is Slackware
Linux Kernel is 2.6.33
USB Devices - CDROM drive, 2 external hard disks, 1 iPod
VirtualBox (vbox-puel)
Guest OS - Windows XP

The problem I am having is that Linux OS is seeing the USB devices but
the XP(VM) is only seeing the CDROM and nothing else. In vbox, I did
configure the USB section with the device filters and the XP is still
not seeing the devices. How do I get XP to access the USB devices?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

NJ
From: Robert Komar on
In comp.os.linux.setup Neil Jones <nj(a)dev.null> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following setup.
>
> Eeepc 1505HA
> OS is Slackware
> Linux Kernel is 2.6.33
> USB Devices - CDROM drive, 2 external hard disks, 1 iPod
> VirtualBox (vbox-puel)
> Guest OS - Windows XP
>
> The problem I am having is that Linux OS is seeing the USB devices but
> the XP(VM) is only seeing the CDROM and nothing else. In vbox, I did
> configure the USB section with the device filters and the XP is still
> not seeing the devices. How do I get XP to access the USB devices?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> NJ

To get USB devices working on my slackware desktop, I had to add the
following line to /etc/fstab:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=502,devmode=664 0 0

where devgid=502 points to the vboxusers groupid in my case. Change
'502' to whatever the vboxusers groupid is on your machine, and add
yourself to that group in /etc/group.

Cheers,
Rob Komar