From: Neil Jones on
Hi,

I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now I
have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used the
bundle version of the installation script and the installation went
fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the get the
message that my kernel headers are not found. I have installed the
source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They are all there on
the system. VMware is not finding them. I spent a whole weekend trying
to get this to work. How do I get VMware workstation to work on Linux?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

NJ
From: AZ Nomad on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:50:35 +0100, Neil Jones <nj(a)dev.null> wrote:
>Hi,

>I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now I
>have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used the
>bundle version of the installation script and the installation went
>fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the get the
>message that my kernel headers are not found. I have installed the
>source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They are all there on

what do you see when you type 'uname -r'
what do you see when you type 'ls -l /usr/src/linux'
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:50:35 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now I
> have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used the
> bundle version of the installation script and the installation went
> fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the get the
> message that my kernel headers are not found. I have installed the
> source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They are all there on
> the system. VMware is not finding them. I spent a whole weekend trying
> to get this to work. How do I get VMware workstation to work on Linux?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> NJ

Are you sure it supports 2.6.33, I doubt that a released version of
VMware will run on the latest kernel. I read that there is a beta out
that runs on Fedora 12 which uses 2.6.32 so there is a very good chance
that it will run on 2.6.33, I'd try that.

Also are you wedded to VMware? I've switched from VMware Server to KVM
and I'm much happier. VMware does a terrible job of keeping up with the
kernel, KVM is in the kernel so it's always in sync. I've found that the
performance of KVM is better then VMware Server, KVM is at least 95% of
native on my workloads. I also like KVM's UI much better then the new
browser based UI in VMware Server.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:50:35 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now I
>> have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used the
>> bundle version of the installation script and the installation went
>> fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the get the
>> message that my kernel headers are not found. I have installed the
>> source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They are all there on
>> the system. VMware is not finding them. I spent a whole weekend trying
>> to get this to work. How do I get VMware workstation to work on Linux?
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> NJ
>
> Are you sure it supports 2.6.33, I doubt that a released version of
> VMware will run on the latest kernel. I read that there is a beta out
> that runs on Fedora 12 which uses 2.6.32 so there is a very good chance
> that it will run on 2.6.33, I'd try that.
>
> Also are you wedded to VMware? I've switched from VMware Server to KVM
> and I'm much happier. VMware does a terrible job of keeping up with the
> kernel, KVM is in the kernel so it's always in sync. I've found that the
> performance of KVM is better then VMware Server, KVM is at least 95% of
> native on my workloads. I also like KVM's UI much better then the new
> browser based UI in VMware Server.

Have you also tried Virtual Box?

There was a lot I liked about Vmware, but I had to ditch because of
speed and compatibility issues with later kernels.

So far Virtualbox is slightly clunkier in the way it does things, but
infinitely better performance wise. Vmware is designed with remote
operation in mind..Virtualbox is desinged to use the hosts screen and
keyboard very effectively.
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:50:35 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now I
> have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used the
> bundle version of the installation script and the installation went
> fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the get the
> message that my kernel headers are not found. I have installed the
> source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They are all there on
> the system. VMware is not finding them. I spent a whole weekend trying
> to get this to work. How do I get VMware workstation to work on Linux?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> NJ

Caveat: I currently don't have any VMWare workstations running. However,
I have computers with VMWare server and VMWare player.

As others have suggested, the kernel may be the biggest issue. I have
VMWare Player 3.0.1 build 227600 running on Slackware 12.2 plus Dropline
Gnome. The kernel is a self configured 2.6.30.10. BTW, one of the things
that Dropline Gnome gives is pam support which is purposely not provided
by Slackware. I can't remember if pam is absolutely required for VMWare
Player, but it might be. IIRC, it is required to install VMWare server.

Also, I last wrote this about VMWare on Slackware:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/4a3dd18f105aab79

--
Douglas Mayne