From: The Natural Philosopher on
Neil Jones wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 08:31 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Have you also tried Virtual Box?
>>
>> There was a lot I liked about Vmware, but I had to ditch because of
>> speed and compatibility issues with later kernels.
>>
>> So far Virtualbox is slightly clunkier in the way it does things, but
>> infinitely better performance wise. Vmware is designed with remote
>> operation in mind..Virtualbox is desinged to use the hosts screen and
>> keyboard very effectively.
>
> I have installed VirtualBox and am impressed for the most part with what
> it can do. I have been trying to access my USB devices on VirtualBox
> VMs with no success. No amount googling or whatever search engine a
> solution. The host OS can see the USB devices fine though.
>
> NJ
Ah..Ive never had that need..there is some kind of driver you need to
load IIRC.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Neil Jones wrote:
>> On 03/16/2010 08:31 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>> Have you also tried Virtual Box?
>>>
>>> There was a lot I liked about Vmware, but I had to ditch because of
>>> speed and compatibility issues with later kernels.
>>>
>>> So far Virtualbox is slightly clunkier in the way it does things, but
>>> infinitely better performance wise. Vmware is designed with remote
>>> operation in mind..Virtualbox is desinged to use the hosts screen and
>>> keyboard very effectively.
>>
>> I have installed VirtualBox and am impressed for the most part with what
>> it can do. I have been trying to access my USB devices on VirtualBox
>> VMs with no success. No amount googling or whatever search engine a
>> solution. The host OS can see the USB devices fine though.
>>
>> NJ
> Ah..Ive never had that need..there is some kind of driver you need to
> load IIRC.

There is some documentation on this..online.

It doesn't seem to apply to my particular installation though :-)
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:02:34 -0400, Neil Jones <nj(a)dev.null> wrote:

> I have installed VirtualBox and am impressed for the most part with what
> it can do. I have been trying to access my USB devices on VirtualBox
> VMs with no success. No amount googling or whatever search engine a

Make sure the have the proprietary version installed from
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
not the open source edition some linux distributions have
in their package managers.

The main (possibly only) difference is the usb support.

In the guest os, install the guest additions.

You should then be able to add usb devices in the settings for
the guest, or using the device menu, while the guest is running.

Regards, Dave Hodgins