From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:31:50 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:50:35 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now
>>> I have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used
>>> the bundle version of the installation script and the installation
>>> went fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the
>>> get the message that my kernel headers are not found. I have
>>> installed the source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They
>>> are all there on the system. VMware is not finding them. I spent a
>>> whole weekend trying to get this to work. How do I get VMware
>>> workstation to work on Linux?
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> NJ
>>
>> Are you sure it supports 2.6.33, I doubt that a released version of
>> VMware will run on the latest kernel. I read that there is a beta out
>> that runs on Fedora 12 which uses 2.6.32 so there is a very good chance
>> that it will run on 2.6.33, I'd try that.
>>
>> Also are you wedded to VMware? I've switched from VMware Server to KVM
>> and I'm much happier. VMware does a terrible job of keeping up with the
>> kernel, KVM is in the kernel so it's always in sync. I've found that
>> the performance of KVM is better then VMware Server, KVM is at least
>> 95% of native on my workloads. I also like KVM's UI much better then
>> the new browser based UI in VMware Server.
>
> Have you also tried Virtual Box?
>
> There was a lot I liked about Vmware, but I had to ditch because of
> speed and compatibility issues with later kernels.
>
> So far Virtualbox is slightly clunkier in the way it does things, but
> infinitely better performance wise. Vmware is designed with remote
> operation in mind..Virtualbox is desinged to use the hosts screen and
> keyboard very effectively.

If you are talking about Windows desktop performance then KVM's native
console window sucks, however rdesktop solves the problem. The
performance of rdesktop from Linux to a Windows VM is terrific even over
a network.
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:46:11 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
<snip>

> If you are talking about Windows desktop performance then KVM's native
> console window sucks, however rdesktop solves the problem. The
> performance of rdesktop from Linux to a Windows VM is terrific even over
> a network.

I agree that using rdesktop to access a remote (or remote virtual) XP
computer is very useful. I wrote this about remote access a while ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/591f4a5f4ab493b2

This is for users running Slackware, which the OP may find useful.

--
Douglas Mayne

From: Markus Kossmann on
Neil Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have VMware workstation 6.5.3 which was running fine on Vista. Now I
> have switched to Linux (Slackware) as my primary platform. I used the
> bundle version of the installation script and the installation went
> fine. Now when I try to start the VMware workstation, I get the get the
> message that my kernel headers are not found. I have installed the
> source, headers and the latest kernel (2.6.33). They are all there on
> the system. VMware is not finding them. I spent a whole weekend trying
> to get this to work. How do I get VMware workstation to work on Linux?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
2.6.33 did move some header files from /usr/src/linux/include/linux to
/usr/src/linux/include/generated, That breaks build of external modules.
vmware-7.0.1 is modified to work with these changes. As workaround for 6.5.3
you can try to create links for these moved files in
/usr/src/linux/include/linux.
From: Neil Jones on
On 03/16/2010 06:10 PM, Markus Kossmann wrote:

>> Any help is appreciated.
> 2.6.33 did move some header files from /usr/src/linux/include/linux to
> /usr/src/linux/include/generated, That breaks build of external modules.
> vmware-7.0.1 is modified to work with these changes. As workaround for 6.5.3
> you can try to create links for these moved files in
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux.

Thank you for posting this solution. This worked better. For some
reason the network module is still not compiling successfully. I will
check the logs again and try to see what is missing.

NJ
From: Neil Jones on
On 03/16/2010 08:31 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Have you also tried Virtual Box?
>
> There was a lot I liked about Vmware, but I had to ditch because of
> speed and compatibility issues with later kernels.
>
> So far Virtualbox is slightly clunkier in the way it does things, but
> infinitely better performance wise. Vmware is designed with remote
> operation in mind..Virtualbox is desinged to use the hosts screen and
> keyboard very effectively.

I have installed VirtualBox and am impressed for the most part with what
it can do. I have been trying to access my USB devices on VirtualBox
VMs with no success. No amount googling or whatever search engine a
solution. The host OS can see the USB devices fine though.

NJ