From: Dachi on
Hey all. I'm new to Linux. I wanted to try different kind of Linux and
see what are advantages, disadvantages. I installed and got Ubuntu
running without problem but Debian and Gentoo are giving me hard times.
For Debian when I boot from CD it goes to black screen with underscore
on screen and that is it; it does not even allows me to type anything.
it seems its not booting. Missing some start up file or something. For
Gentoo I got it to boot and do live CD but I can't install it. It might
be problem with the CDs and its content I downloaded installation drives
off the Internet from their personal sites and then burned it on CD. (I
have Intel 64 bit processor) -thanks for your help
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2010-03-04, Dachi <dachichk(a)buffalo.edu> wrote:
> Hey all. I'm new to Linux. I wanted to try different kind of Linux and
> see what are advantages, disadvantages. I installed and got Ubuntu
> running without problem but Debian and Gentoo are giving me hard times.
> For Debian when I boot from CD it goes to black screen with underscore
> on screen and that is it; it does not even allows me to type anything.
> it seems its not booting. Missing some start up file or something. For
> Gentoo I got it to boot and do live CD but I can't install it. It might
> be problem with the CDs and its content I downloaded installation drives
> off the Internet from their personal sites and then burned it on CD. (I
> have Intel 64 bit processor) -thanks for your help

Ubuntu is one of the best distributions for supporting recent hardware, but
practically all of the software from Debian repositories is available.
If you don't like Gnome, you can try Kubuntu or Xubuntu and you can
install other window managers or run in text mode (uninstall gdm/kdm or
edit the startup scripts so it doesn't start automatically).

From: Chris on
Dachi wrote:

> Hey all. I'm new to Linux. I wanted to try different kind of Linux and
> see what are advantages, disadvantages. I installed and got Ubuntu
> running without problem but Debian and Gentoo are giving me hard times.
> For Debian when I boot from CD it goes to black screen with underscore
> on screen and that is it; it does not even allows me to type anything.
> it seems its not booting. Missing some start up file or something. For
> Gentoo I got it to boot and do live CD but I can't install it. It might
> be problem with the CDs and its content I downloaded installation drives
> off the Internet from their personal sites and then burned it on CD. (I
> have Intel 64 bit processor) -thanks for your help

Hello, the start to install Gentoo on your system would be:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ia64.xml

the Gentoo documentation is quite good, but Gentoo is not exactly easy for
beginners. If you really want to learn how a linux system works, it is
great. But be prepared to do all steps on the command line, and follow each
single step in the doc. Also expect some days of continuous work until the
system will run.

Debian OTOH, should work out of the box when you follow installation
instructions within half an hour, and it is rock solid. Start here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/index.en.html
and get the netinstall CD.
Chris