From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 01:57:51AM +0200, Jan Kohnert wrote:

> Maybe it got lost due to the language, but: my comment was just sarcasm.
> Only brain-damaged users would remove neccessary parameters out off the
> config file while expecting things to work somehow out-of-the-box by
> magic.

This is entirely inappropriate and unnecessary. You should apologize to
the OP in private email...

While the OP's expectation that Postfix auto-configuration should
be consistent with FQDN auto-configuration in other applications is
misguided, it does not deserve this type of attack. The OP made an honest
mistake, and the reasons why it is a mistake have been stated. That's
sufficient push-back.

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 06:44:16PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Please don't paint the Debian user base with such a large brush. There are a
> vocal minority of Debian lusers, such as the ones rattling cans over this non
> existent bug. The majority of Debian users are not brain damaged like these
> fine folks and have no issues with Postfix, as I stated early on in this thread.
>
> Any real mail OP, Debian or otherwise, doesn't give a flying leap if this
> distro automagic stuff works properly. A real mail OP is going to manually
> define these things in main.cf for reasons such as this argument, and other
> issues, making them all NON ISSUES.
>
> Some people just enjoy rattling cans to draw attention. Nothing to see here.
> Move along. Move along.

And Stan also.

--
Viktor.

From: Moe on
Wietse Venema wrote:
> Moe:
>> The docs for 'myhostname' even explicitly state "The default is to use
>> the fully-qualified domain name from gethostname()", which makes no
>> sense as gethostname() does not normally return a FQDN.
>
> Only a brain-damaged person would claim that Postfix promises
> domain auto-detection.

Indeed. Quite possibly my brain took subtle damage from reading
"fully-qualified" and gethostname() in the same sentence, and it
took me this long to notice.

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Moe put forth on 6/3/2010 8:10 PM:

> So with that, no hard feelings. I'll make sure to not bother
> you guys again.

No hard feelings intended Moe.

What I just can't wrap my small brain around is how the pain and effort to
insert 'myhostname = mx1.example.com' into main.cf is greater than the pain
and effort you've expended in this 'bug' report effort. 99.999% of us would
make the main.cf edit and move on, focusing our attention on "real" issues.

--
Stan

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Victor Duchovni put forth on 6/3/2010 8:29 PM:

> And Stan also.

As usual, you're right Victor. My apologies to Moe for the "brain damaged"
comment. Unprofessional and uncalled for.

Sorry Moe.

--
Stan

From: Jan Kohnert on
Victor Duchovni schrieb:
> This is entirely inappropriate and unnecessary.

Well, I must admit, I got heated up a bit in this discussion, and should have
rethinked my words more before posting.

Sorry about that, and my apologies to Moe.

--
MfG Jan