From: Matt Hayes on
Yes.. I know this has come up quite a bit, but on freenode in #postfix
this discussion once again erupted when someone mentioned a bug in
postfix and referencing this:

Now, I'm not all that bright on how postfix sorts out the hostname, and
frankly, I don't care, but I don't like people saying its a 'bug' when I
have no problems following configuration directives.

Can someone PLEASE explain this in clear terms as to what they are
complaining about?

Confused,

-Matt

From: Jim Wright on
Failure to properly configure Postfix isn't a bug. Documentation exists for a reason, if a config doesn't work, fix the config. Don't complain because magic doesn't happen.

I know nothing about debian, and can't speak to any allowanced postfix does or doesn't make on that platform. I run postfix on OS X, and don't expect the OS to provide postfix with everything it needs.

Jim

From: Matt Hayes on

On 06/02/2010 11:44 PM, Jim Wright wrote:
> Failure to properly configure Postfix isn't a bug. Documentation exists for a reason, if a config doesn't work, fix the config. Don't complain because magic doesn't happen.
>
> I know nothing about debian, and can't speak to any allowanced postfix does or doesn't make on that platform. I run postfix on OS X, and don't expect the OS to provide postfix with everything it needs.
>

> Jim
>
> On Jun 2, 2010, at 9:46 PM, Matt Hayes wrote:
>
>> Yes.. I know this has come up quite a bit, but on freenode in #postfix
>> this discussion once again erupted when someone mentioned a bug in
>> postfix and referencing this:

>> Now, I'm not all that bright on how postfix sorts out the hostname, and
>> frankly, I don't care, but I don't like people saying its a 'bug' when I
>> have no problems following configuration directives.
>>
>> Can someone PLEASE explain this in clear terms as to what they are
>> complaining about?
>>
>> Confused,
>>
>> -Matt

I don't disagree with yo uat all. I use Slackware personally and
install from source when I do my installations/upgrades with postfix.

Just wanted input on this as it is quite frustrating when I KNOW It
isn't a bug because it appears the Debian folks are the only ones I see
reporting it.

-Matt

From: "N. Yaakov Ziskind" on
Matt Hayes wrote (on Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 11:48:53PM -0400):

> On 06/02/2010 11:44 PM, Jim Wright wrote:
> > Failure to properly configure Postfix isn't a bug. Documentation exists for a reason, if a config doesn't work, fix the config. Don't complain because magic doesn't happen.
> >
> > I know nothing about debian, and can't speak to any allowanced postfix does or doesn't make on that platform. I run postfix on OS X, and don't expect the OS to provide postfix with everything it needs.
> >

> > Jim
> >
> > On Jun 2, 2010, at 9:46 PM, Matt Hayes wrote:
> >
> >> Yes.. I know this has come up quite a bit, but on freenode in #postfix
> >> this discussion once again erupted when someone mentioned a bug in
> >> postfix and referencing this:
> >>
> >> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=214741
> >>

> >> Now, I'm not all that bright on how postfix sorts out the hostname, and
> >> frankly, I don't care, but I don't like people saying its a 'bug' when I
> >> have no problems following configuration directives.
> >>
> >> Can someone PLEASE explain this in clear terms as to what they are
> >> complaining about?
> >>
> >> Confused,
> >>
> >> -Matt
> >

> I don't disagree with yo uat all. I use Slackware personally and
> install from source when I do my installations/upgrades with postfix.
>
> Just wanted input on this as it is quite frustrating when I KNOW It
> isn't a bug because it appears the Debian folks are the only ones I see
> reporting it.
>
> -Matt

I use Ubuntu, not Debian, but I read the bug and it appears to depend
upon Debian-specific behavior. Further, Mike Paul mentions that Debian
works around the unexpected behavior, so that there are much real-world
consequences. In fact, to make the bug happen, you have to take
affirmative steps to break the Postfix install. So ... yawn.

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs(a)ziskind.us
Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Matt Hayes put forth on 6/2/2010 9:46 PM:
> Yes.. I know this has come up quite a bit, but on freenode in #postfix
> this discussion once again erupted when someone mentioned a bug in
> postfix and referencing this:

> Now, I'm not all that bright on how postfix sorts out the hostname, and
> frankly, I don't care, but I don't like people saying its a 'bug' when I
> have no problems following configuration directives.
>
> Can someone PLEASE explain this in clear terms as to what they are
> complaining about?

Matt, it has nothing to do with Postfix. These fine folks are complaining
that the Debian install process doesn't automagically configure _every_ aspect
of the system for them. They're holding the Debian team's collective feet to
the fire really, as Debian touts that all little things like this will be done
automatically. So, basically, they trying to make Debian keeps its promise.
But at the same time, they're crying over spilled milk and just being
annoying. And they're not very SMTP savvy either.

For instance, that bug report you linked is from Oct 2003, seven years ago.
Note that the user filing the bug report is running Postfix on a Debian
_laptop_. Running a full blown MTA on a laptop demonstrates a serious level
of brain damage.

The "bug" he describes can be instantly "fixed" with the following in main.cf

myhostname = host.domain.tld

Apparently that's tooo much bother for these geniuses. I've always defined
this manually anyway just out of habit and good practice. This way an
inadvertent change to the Debian hostname won't hose Postfix.

I've been running Debian servers since ~2000 and Postfix on Debian since
~2005. The only 'mildly serious' Debian specific Postfix problem I've ever
had was the lack of a syslog socket in the Postfix chroot prior to Lenny.
That *WAS* a bug.

--
Stan