From: Jeroen Geilman on
On 06/04/2010 03:25 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Moe:
>
>> The docs for 'myhostname' even explicitly state "The default is to use
>> the fully-qualified domain name from gethostname()", which makes no
>> sense as gethostname() does not normally return a FQDN.
>>
> Only a brain-damaged person would claim that Postfix promises
> domain auto-detection.
>
> Any conceptions that Postfix mis-detects the domain are therefore
> bogus as well.
>
> Wietse

That's not all he said.

My man page for gethostname() says that it returns the system's *node*
name, and it has no option to extend this to a fully-qualified hostname
- that's what getdomainname() is for.
It also notes that glibc doesn't implement a separate gethostname()
function, but returns uname -n instead.
AFAIK, uname can not return a domain part.

I think the manual is at best misleading in this statement.

J.