From: Geoff Clements on
Kevin Buzzard wrote:

> Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> sudo -s
>> sudo -H -s
>> sudo -i
>
> Thanks to Chris and all the other people pointing out the myriad
> ways out of my dilemma. I had misunderstood---I somehow was
> under the impression that root "wasn't even there".
>
> Here's a ubuntu-remix-specific question. I have over the years
> become very attached to xbiff, not just for email but for notifying
> me of all sorts of things. I have an xbiff for "there is some stuff
> for you to moderate at sci.math.research" and I used to have an xbiff for
> "it's your move on an online game site" when I had time to play games,
> and so on. I also have one for "you got mail", unsurprisingly. Because
> everything is opening full screen, xbiff is not an ideal way to solve
> this problem (the general problem is this: I have a script that notices
> that something needs attention, and it writes to a file, and an xbiff
> notices this and changes colour accordingly; I have a bewildering array
> of coloured xbiffs!). How might one do this on ubuntu remix?

You can turn off the remix GUI and turn it into a normal Gnome desktop. Have
a look under preferences, there should be an icon called "Switch Desktop
Mode". I'm not sure if this affects whether windows open full screen or not
but it's worth a try.

> Is there a more appropriate forum for this sort of question, by the way?

I guess there's always the Ubuntu forums but I'd say this is as good a group
as any.

--
Geoff
From: Tom Anderson on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Kevin Buzzard wrote:

> Here's a ubuntu-remix-specific question. I have over the years become
> very attached to xbiff, not just for email but for notifying me of all
> sorts of things. I have an xbiff for "there is some stuff for you to
> moderate at sci.math.research" and I used to have an xbiff for "it's
> your move on an online game site" when I had time to play games, and so
> on. I also have one for "you got mail", unsurprisingly. Because
> everything is opening full screen, xbiff is not an ideal way to solve
> this problem (the general problem is this: I have a script that notices
> that something needs attention, and it writes to a file, and an xbiff
> notices this and changes colour accordingly; I have a bewildering array
> of coloured xbiffs!). How might one do this on ubuntu remix?

Does UNR have somewhere it can put GNOME panels? A menu bar or similar.
A panel applet should be the thing. Try these:

http://gnubiff.sourceforge.net/
http://gbox-applet.sourceforge.net/

tom

--
forget everything from school - you are programmer

Pages: 1
Prev: USB discs
Next: Debian and netbooks