From: Simon Brooke on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39:51 +0000, Justin C wrote:

> I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
> running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>
> I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
> concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
> buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
> Ubuntu NetBook remix?

Yes.

Netbook remix works extremely nicely on my Dell Mini 9 (it originally
came with Hardy Heron, which worked OK...)

> Lastly, where do we stand these days with a rebate for declining the
> Windows license and over-writing the install?

Buy it from Dell with Ubuntu pre-installed. That way, you're letting the
box shifters know that there are customers out there who actually want
Linux. The Dell netbooks are reasonably priced, have nice keyboards and
reasonable build quality - certainly better than Acers.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Bernard Peek on
On 23/04/10 20:47, Tom Anderson wrote:

>> Would I be better off with an Ubuntu NetBook remix?
>
> No, because Ubuntu still comes with the 'breaks hopelessly when you
> upgrade' feature.

I don't recognise this feature. It doesn't appear to be available from
any of the Ubuntu repositories. I'm planning to do a version upgrade of
my Ubuntu boxes this month and I'm not anticipating any real difficulties.

Now if you had said the same about Firefox I would have agreed with you.

--
Bernard Peek
bap(a)shrdlu.com