From: Kevin Buzzard on

OK so I've been using KDE and debian for years, and I bought a new
netbook and put ubuntu on it because somehow I got the impression
that that's what the kids use these days. More precisely, I put
"ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix" (any distro containing the word "remix"
must somehow be the trendiest thing around; I remember when they
were all called redhat 6.0 etc).

OK so I'm a bit lost---I just need some help working out how to
do what I'm used to doing in this new point-and-click based environment.
Let me say what my exciting new ubuntu install looks like now: there
is a huge bar down the left saying "Favourites! Files and Folders!
Accessories! Games! [etc etc]" and under Favourites I have some nice
user-friendly things like a big button that says "Help" under it.
I furthermore noticed that ubuntu appears to be offering me
a free Nintendo DS emulator. A far cry from nethack isn't it.

OK so that's all very nice. But I want my terminal. Under a standard
KDE install I'd have a little panel at the bottom and I could drag
a terminal icon to this panel and then click on it to get a terminal.
I found the terminal icon under "Accessories" and have managed to put
it in "Favourites", but whenever I fire it up it always starts up
full screen, and when I "unmaximise" it it goes to 80x30 instead
of 80x something smaller. Furthermore I can't seem to set scrollback to
infinity (well, maybe 10 million will have to do for now).

Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
to a life of sudo? I've already found two instances when root would
have been better; once for example when I wanted to type in about 5 commands
and got sick of writing sudo in front of all of them, when I could
have just typed su - in the old days and then done it. Am I just
out of touch here? I read on some web page "ubuntu has no root
and that's great because now you only need to remember one password
not two". If that's the reason there's no root, I'm not buying it!

Oh---no---wait---I've just noticed that firefox also opens full-screen.
Jeez---is this the window manager doing this?

Hmm, perhaps my question is: where do I find a manual for the
window manager that comes by default with remixed ubuntu?
In fact, perhaps a better question is: can I have kde back?
This isn't KDE right?

Finally, with debian I was used to

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade

Am I still to do this with ubuntu or is it going to do it all for me
and woe betide me if I start running aptitude?

Kevin "grumpy old man" Buzzard

From: Richard Kettlewell on
Kevin Buzzard <buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> writes:
> Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
> to a life of sudo? I've already found two instances when root would
> have been better; once for example when I wanted to type in about 5 commands
> and got sick of writing sudo in front of all of them, when I could
> have just typed su - in the old days and then done it. Am I just
> out of touch here? I read on some web page "ubuntu has no root
> and that's great because now you only need to remember one password
> not two". If that's the reason there's no root, I'm not buying it!

"sudo su -" should produce the equivalent of logging in as root.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: chris on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:51:46 +0100, Kevin Buzzard
<buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> wrote:

> OK so I've been using KDE and debian for years, and I bought a new
> netbook and put ubuntu on it because somehow I got the impression
> that that's what the kids use these days. More precisely, I put
> "ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix" (any distro containing the word "remix"
> must somehow be the trendiest thing around; I remember when they
> were all called redhat 6.0 etc).

If you prefer KDE is there not a Kubuntu netbook version?

> Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
> to a life of sudo? I've already found two instances when root would
> have been better; once for example when I wanted to type in about 5
> commands

sudo -s

Gives you a root shell prompt.

You can have root. I think it's a simple case of setting a password for
the root user, but best double-check via google.

[ sorry can't with the rest ]
From: Theo Markettos on
Kevin Buzzard <buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> wrote:
> OK so that's all very nice. But I want my terminal. Under a standard
> KDE install I'd have a little panel at the bottom and I could drag
> a terminal icon to this panel and then click on it to get a terminal.
> I found the terminal icon under "Accessories" and have managed to put
> it in "Favourites", but whenever I fire it up it always starts up
> full screen, and when I "unmaximise" it it goes to 80x30 instead
> of 80x something smaller. Furthermore I can't seem to set scrollback to
> infinity (well, maybe 10 million will have to do for now).

The point of UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) is to make use of limited screen
size on netbooks. When you only have 7" 800x480 to play with, many people
are going to want apps maximised[1]. It's not really designed if you want
to regularly have lots of apps onscreen at once. Probably better to install
another window manager instead (just by installing a few more packages).

[1] Yes we managed with 320x256 CGA back in the day, but people now assume
pixels are cheap... (I'm quite practised at tabbing to invisible buttons to
submit dialogue boxes that are too big for my screen and have no scrollbar)

> Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
> to a life of sudo? I've already found two instances when root would
> have been better; once for example when I wanted to type in about 5 commands
> and got sick of writing sudo in front of all of them, when I could
> have just typed su - in the old days and then done it. Am I just
> out of touch here? I read on some web page "ubuntu has no root
> and that's great because now you only need to remember one password
> not two". If that's the reason there's no root, I'm not buying it!

As well as the other solutions, there's also 'sudo bash' to get a root
shell. Or 'sudo passwd' to set the root password and then you can 'su -' if
you really want.

> Hmm, perhaps my question is: where do I find a manual for the
> window manager that comes by default with remixed ubuntu?
> In fact, perhaps a better question is: can I have kde back?
> This isn't KDE right?

It's based on GNOME, I think. You can certainly have KDE back - just needs
installing some extra packages (there will be a howto on the web somewhere)

> Finally, with debian I was used to
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude upgrade
>
> Am I still to do this with ubuntu or is it going to do it all for me
> and woe betide me if I start running aptitude?

Indeed you can, everything is still built on apt. You can disable the
automatic update checker if you want. And it's far easier to type 'aptitude
install foo' than mess with synaptic.

Theo
From: Chris Davies on
Kevin Buzzard <buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> wrote:
> Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
> to a life of sudo?

sudo -s
sudo -H -s
sudo -i