From: Daniel James on
In article <hqpnq2$a2u$1(a)north.jnrs.ja.net>, Kevin Buzzard wrote:
> I put "ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix" (any distro containing the word
> "remix" must somehow be the trendiest thing around

I spent about an hour playing with UNR on my netbook before wiping it and
installing standard desktop Ubuntu. UNR may perhaps be easier to use on very
small screens, but mine is a 7" 800x480 -- they don't come much smaller than
that -- and I thought vanilla Ubuntu was preferable.

> I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed to a life
> of sudo? I've already found two instances when root would have been
> better; once for example when I wanted to type in about 5 commands
> and got sick of writing sudo in front of all of them, when I could
> have just typed su - in the old days and then done it.

I initially thought that, too, but I found I quickly got used to typing "sudo
bash" when I needed it, or starting a root console (from a separate toolbar
icon).

You CAN use su from Ubuntu, you just have to give root a password.

> I've just noticed that firefox also opens full-screen.
> Jeez---is this the window manager doing this?

Because it's UNR and the assumption is that your screen is too small for you
NOT to want apps to use it all.

> In fact, perhaps a better question is: can I have kde back?
> This isn't KDE right?

Gno, it's Gnome.

> Finally, with debian I was used to
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude upgrade
>
> Am I still to do this with ubuntu or is it going to do it all for me
> and woe betide me if I start running aptitude?

You can still do that ... it just does it for you from time to time as well
(with a graphical front end). I use apt-get on my Ubuntu (and Debian) systems.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Daniel James on
In article <83dhkhFcm5U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Fp wrote:
> ... you could just have taken the normal Gnome ubuntu 9.10
> instead of the netbook remix (if you can stand Gnome) ...

's a funny thing ... after years of using KDE on my Linux boxes I'm
getting to quite like Gnome. I really don't like the nautilus file
manager but the rest of the GUI is OK. On the other hand I recently had
a play with a Kubuntu live CD which was my first experience of KDE4,
and I hated it.

Maybe I should try xfce ...

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Theo Markettos on
Tom Anderson <twic(a)urchin.earth.li> wrote:
> Does UNR have somewhere it can put GNOME panels? A menu bar or similar.

Yes. The top line of the screen is organised thus:

Launcher icon Icons for open windows Current window titlebar GNOME applets

so you can add an applet. There's one difficulty that the normal
right-click menu you bring up on an empty bit of panel isn't available,
because there's no empty bit of panel. I did find a workaround, but I can't
remember exactly what it was. I think it involved killing netbook-launcher
or one of the other processes so that it revealed some empty panel that I
could right click (and the settings are remembered for next time).

Theo
From: Tom Anderson on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Daniel James wrote:

> In article <83dhkhFcm5U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Fp wrote:
>> ... you could just have taken the normal Gnome ubuntu 9.10
>> instead of the netbook remix (if you can stand Gnome) ...
>
> 's a funny thing ... after years of using KDE on my Linux boxes I'm
> getting to quite like Gnome.

Over here, after years of using GNOME on my linux boxes, i'm starting to
really hate KDE! We have GNOME in the office, but KDE on some remote VMs
we're doing development on. WHY OH WHY does konsole not have a keyboard
shortcut for copying text, and why does it have a shortcut for pasting
that involves the right hand? Why are there three text editors, all of
which are rubbish?

> I really don't like the nautilus file manager

Me neither.

tom

--
DO NOT WANT!
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:32:32 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Kevin Buzzard <buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed to a
>> life of sudo? I've already found two instances when root would have
>> been better; once for example when I wanted to type in about 5 commands
>> and got sick of writing sudo in front of all of them, when I could have
>> just typed su - in the old days and then done it.
> As well as the other solutions, there's also 'sudo bash' to get a root
> shell. Or 'sudo passwd' to set the root password and then you can 'su
> -' if you really want.

There's been a similar annoyance in Fedora since F10, but its just that:
a source of irritation.

There's still a root password, but some twonk thought it would be good
idea to prevent root logins working from the graphical login screen. You
can still run a root shell via su or ssh BUT can't easily get a root
desktop, which is often useful for the lesser-used maintenance tools.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind this, especially as the
classical two box (Name & Password) login has been unilaterally replaced
with a graphical menu of user names. This REDUCES security since now a
cracker can pick a user name rather than having to guess both user name
and password. This violates even basic security - forcing both items to
be entered and then reporting a violation as "Invalid user/password
combination" is much more secure than anything that confirms which one
was wrong.

Last but not least, the 'shutdown' item is on all user menus rather than
just root. At least they got rid of the old FC1 - F6 idiocy - that of
putting a Shutdown button on the login screen.

Ideally all this (graphical login display method, graphical root login,
logout on user menu) would all be configurable but isn't.

Lets hope it changes and soon: I've requested it via Fedora Bugzilla and
had the bug accepted.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK