From: Justin C on
I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.

I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
Ubuntu NetBook remix?

Lastly, where do we stand these days with a rebate for declining the
Windows license and over-writing the install?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <f96.4bd19517.35dde(a)zem>,
Justin C <justin.0911(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
>running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>
>I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
>concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
>buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
>Ubuntu NetBook remix?

I have Debian Lenny running on an Acer Aspire One.

The only application that gives me a bit of hassle is Ekiga because it's
just a bit too tall for the screen.

You might want to find out how good OpenCPN is - just try it on a desktop
and resize the window to 1024x768 ...

>Lastly, where do we stand these days with a rebate for declining the
>Windows license and over-writing the install?

I think the story goes:

"It's possible, but not often worth the hassle"

)-:

Our AAO's came with Linpus so we didn't have that issue...

Gordon
From: Chris Whelan on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39:51 +0000, Justin C wrote:

> I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
> running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>
> I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
> concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
> buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
> Ubuntu NetBook remix?

I tried UNR on my Dell Mini-10; it was OK, but I didn't like the
interface. I settled on Mint 8, primarily because the menu it uses is
ideal with a small screen.

I haven't had any difficulty with the size of dialogue boxes.

> Lastly, where do we stand these days with a rebate for declining the
> Windows license and over-writing the install?

Sorry, can't help there. I kept the XP install as dual-boot in case I
couldn't get mobile broadband to work in Linux, although my fears were
unjustified.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <f96.4bd19517.35dde(a)zem>,
Justin C <justin.0911(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

> I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
> concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
> buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
> Ubuntu NetBook remix?

I don't think UNR does anything about oversized dialog boxes; certainly
not Nautilus' preferences in 9.10, and upstream don't care. When I
raised the issue with a similar problem in xfce's Thunar its developers
were quick to respond with a patch, but I don't know whether they put it
in mainstream.

Mint is a good compromise because it has its own menu system instead of
the standard GNOME one which takes up far too much panel space, but
without automatically maximising nearly everything like UNR.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Tom Anderson on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Justin C wrote:

> I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
> running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>
> I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
> concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
> buttons be off the bottom of the screen?!

I have Eeebuntu on an Eee 1001HA, which uses GNOME; the dialogue boxes
look like the ones on my CentOS desktop at work (they're not super-tweaked
for netbooks, as far as i can tell), and they fit perfectly well on
screen.

> Would I be better off with an Ubuntu NetBook remix?

No, because Ubuntu still comes with the 'breaks hopelessly when you
upgrade' feature.

tom

--
CRESS AND CREATIVITY GET BUSY -- Barry