From: alexd on
On 23/04/10 21:52, Bernard Peek wrote:

> I don't recognise this feature.

Ditto. Upgraded work laptop online from 8.04 through to 9.10 without
issue. Let's see what 10.04 brings!

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
22:35:32 up 14 days, 11:56, 2 users, load average: 0.52, 0.25, 0.16
From: Justin C on
In article <f96.4bd19517.35dde(a)zem>, Justin C wrote:
> I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
> running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>
> I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
> concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
> buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
> Ubuntu NetBook remix?
>
> Lastly, where do we stand these days with a rebate for declining the
> Windows license and over-writing the install?
>
> Justin.

I've read the replies so far, thank you Gordon, Chris, Tony, Tom, and
Simon.

Looks like I might be happier staying away from Ubuntu for a while, I
recall reading about the breaking on upgrade before.

Mint is an interesting idea especially the LTS version - even though
it's based on Ubuntu. Does it suspend when the lid of a the netbook is
closed?

WRT Dell, Simon, I don't like their stuff. I used to maintain a
PowerEdge server many years ago and it was a good piece of kit, but
everything of theirs that I've been near since has been cheap rubbish.

The netbooks I've looked at so far have been HP, Acer, and Samsung. IIRC
the Acer was the best spec'd machine, the HP seemed OK, but the Samsung
seemed the best built, and had a lovely keyboard - I type a lot so this
is important to me. So I'm leaning toward Samsung at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Tony Houghton on
In <8dg9a7-k7g.ln1(a)purestblue.com>,
Justin C <justin.1004(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

> Looks like I might be happier staying away from Ubuntu for a while, I
> recall reading about the breaking on upgrade before.

I don't think there's been a significant problem there in recent
versions. You do have to use the update-manager though; if you just
change /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get dist-upgrade you probably
can expect problems.

> Mint is an interesting idea especially the LTS version - even though
> it's based on Ubuntu. Does it suspend when the lid of a the netbook is
> closed?

That works on recent versions of everything I've tried (Debian unstable,
Ubuntu and Mint) on at least 3 different laptops, so you should be OK.
Check the power preferences are configured correctly though.

> The netbooks I've looked at so far have been HP, Acer, and Samsung. IIRC
> the Acer was the best spec'd machine, the HP seemed OK, but the Samsung
> seemed the best built, and had a lovely keyboard - I type a lot so this
> is important to me. So I'm leaning toward Samsung at the moment.

It's worth looking at 12" models IMO. Still small enough to be a netbook
in terms of portability, but with a 1366x768 screen which is far more
usable. I've got an HP/Compaq Mini 311 with Ion LE graphics. The only
things I don't like are that you need to use Fn + arrow keys for PgUp/Dn
(and End and Home) and the touchpad isn't properly compatible with Linux
(yet) so can't be configured for corner taps = middle button etc, but
basic functionality works, including vertical scrolling, and I use a
real mouse most of the time anyway (Bluetooth, so no dongle :)). If I'd
noticed the lack of PgUp/Dn in advance and realised how much it would
inconvenience me I probably would have gone for one of the more
expensive Lenovo or Asus alternatives.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Daniel James on
In article <f96.4bd19517.35dde(a)zem>, Justin C wrote:
> Lastly, where do we stand these days with a rebate for declining the
> Windows license and over-writing the install?

According to the terms of the XPH licence I refused before putting
Ubuntu on my recent Acer Aspire One:

[If you don't agree ... ] "... you should promptly contact
Manufacturer for instructions on return of the unused product(s)
for a refund in accordance with Manufacturer's return policies."

So, I guess it depends on "Manufacturer"'s policy ... I have heard that
HP just say that if you don't like their Windows licence you can return
the whole machine for a refund. It would serve them right if we all
bought machines from them, installed linux on the hard drive so they
had to reinstall the Windows systems before they could resell, and
asked for a refund ... but there's probably a handling fee involved.

I haven't YET tried to get a refund on my XPH licence (XPH, I ask you?
If it had been Pro it might have been worth keeping for dual boot). I
do intend to try but I don't suppose the amount I might get back will
be worth the effort. I'm not even sure whom to contact at Manufacturer
... er, I mean Acer.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: alexd on
On 24/04/10 00:21, Tony Houghton wrote:

> I don't think there's been a significant problem there in recent
> versions. You do have to use the update-manager though; if you just
> change /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get dist-upgrade you probably
> can expect problems.

Really? I haven't had update-manager installed since 8.04. What are
these problems?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
09:36:24 up 14 days, 22:58, 2 users, load average: 0.31, 0.50, 0.49