From: Dominic Hargreaves on
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2010, Daniel James told this:
>
>> In article <8dg9a7-k7g.ln1(a)purestblue.com>, Justin C wrote:
>>> Looks like I might be happier staying away from Ubuntu for a while, I
>>> recall reading about the breaking on upgrade before.
>>
>> I haven't tried an in-place upgrade, but those I know and trust who
>> have say that it works well if you upgrade EVERY version, but can break
>> badly if you try to skip one.
>
> This is exactly the same as Debian, and has been the rule from day one.
> (Among other things, dpkg features introduced in dpkg in version X can
> be used in archives in version X+1 *if* you can ensure that the user has
> upgraded to version X. If this rule wasn't in place, the packaging
> system could never gain new features at all.)

I believe that there is another option with Ubuntu; LTS[1] -> LTS upgrades
are always supported.

[1] Long Term Support releases - 10.04, due tomorrow, is the next one

From: alexd on
On 23/04/10 22:38, alexd wrote:
> Let's see what 10.04 brings!

Done two so far without issue.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
22:13:15 up 14 days, 21:52, 2 users, load average: 0.32, 0.61, 0.44
From: T i m on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39:51 -0000, Justin C
<justin.0911(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

>I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
>running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>
>I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
>concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
>buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
>Ubuntu NetBook remix?

I've just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my little eeePC 701 (mainly
because 4G is a bit small for XP). I missed the handy auto-pan on XP
but you can move bigger dialog boxes about with ALT+ Mouse-
click-move (and reduced windows sizes).

Most bits seemed to work straight off but I just need to get printing
to a Samba shared ip4000 now.

Cheers, T i m

From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-05-13, T i m wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39:51 -0000, Justin C
><justin.0911(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
>>running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>>
>>I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
>>concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
>>buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
>>Ubuntu NetBook remix?
>
> I've just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my little eeePC 701 (mainly
> because 4G is a bit small for XP). I missed the handy auto-pan on XP
> but you can move bigger dialog boxes about with ALT+ Mouse-
> click-move (and reduced windows sizes).

You can do that in Windowmaker.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: T i m on
On 13 May 2010 13:04:59 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-05-13, T i m wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39:51 -0000, Justin C
>><justin.0911(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
>>>running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>>>
>>>I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
>>>concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
>>>buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
>>>Ubuntu NetBook remix?
>>
>> I've just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my little eeePC 701 (mainly
>> because 4G is a bit small for XP). I missed the handy auto-pan on XP
>> but you can move bigger dialog boxes about with ALT+ Mouse-
>> click-move (and reduced windows sizes).
>
> You can do that in Windowmaker.

I've had a quick Google and nose in Synaptic and whilst I can see
loads of references to Window maker I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm also not sure how much it would apply to a small screen?

Cheers, T i m