From: Nix on
On 28 Apr 2010, Dominic Hargreaves uttered the following:

> Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>> This is exactly the same as Debian, and has been the rule from day one.
>> (Among other things, dpkg features introduced in dpkg in version X can
>> be used in archives in version X+1 *if* you can ensure that the user has
>> upgraded to version X. If this rule wasn't in place, the packaging
>> system could never gain new features at all.)
>
> I believe that there is another option with Ubuntu; LTS[1] -> LTS upgrades
> are always supported.

Yes, but Ubuntu has weirded things up to the extent that it doesn't even use
dist-upgrade for those, does it? It has some GUI thing that wraps God-only-
knows-what...
From: Theo Markettos on
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> Yes, but Ubuntu has weirded things up to the extent that it doesn't even use
> dist-upgrade for those, does it? It has some GUI thing that wraps God-only-
> knows-what...

I haven't used anything later than 9.04, but that can still use aptitude.
There are a few new upgrade methods though:

safe-upgrade - Perform a safe upgrade
full-upgrade - Perform an upgrade, possibly installing and removing packages

I think these behave differently to 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade', which are
deprecated.

Theo
From: Justin C on
On 2010-05-13, T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:39:51 -0000, Justin C
><justin.0911(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm contemplating a NetBook to carry around with me, and for use afloat
>>running OpenCPN with a GPS and AIS receiver.
>>
>>I'd prefer to install Debian as it's what I'm most familiar with but I'm
>>concerned about the sizes of dialogue boxes. Will the OK and Cancel
>>buttons be off the bottom of the screen?! Would I be better off with an
>>Ubuntu NetBook remix?
>
> I've just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my little eeePC 701 (mainly
> because 4G is a bit small for XP). I missed the handy auto-pan on XP
> but you can move bigger dialog boxes about with ALT+ Mouse-
> click-move (and reduced windows sizes).
>
> Most bits seemed to work straight off but I just need to get printing
> to a Samba shared ip4000 now.

Thanks for that Tim. Good experience is good to hear about.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Justin C on
On 2010-05-13, T i m <news(a)spaced.me.uk> wrote:
> On 13 May 2010 13:04:59 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
><cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-05-13, T i m wrote:

>>> I've just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my little eeePC 701 (mainly
>>> because 4G is a bit small for XP). I missed the handy auto-pan on XP
>>> but you can move bigger dialog boxes about with ALT+ Mouse-
>>> click-move (and reduced windows sizes).
>>
>> You can do that in Windowmaker.
>
> I've had a quick Google and nose in Synaptic and whilst I can see
> loads of references to Window maker I'm not sure exactly what it is.
>
> I'm also not sure how much it would apply to a small screen?
>
> Cheers, T i m

It's a window manager, basically. Though it can also be part of a whole
NeXTStep interface. I think that most people who use it just use the wm
part. It's a drop in replacement for the likes of fluxbox, metacity,
fvwm, enlightenment, etc. It doesn't provide the whole envirenment as
KDE and Gnome do.

It's my wm of choice for the last ten years or so, when working on a
Linux box.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.