From: Geoff Clements on
Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Daniel James wrote:
>
>> In article <83dhkhFcm5U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Fp wrote:
> WHY OH WHY does konsole not have a keyboard
> shortcut for copying text,

CTRL+SHIFT+C here on Konsole 2.3.3, oh and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste but I find
it much easier to highlight then middle click.

--
Geoff
From: Moe Trin on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup uk.comp.os.linux, in article
<hqut49$c0f$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie wrote:

>There's been a similar annoyance in Fedora since F10, but its just that:
>a source of irritation.

It's yet another part of the dumbing down of a popular distribution
to cater to the feeble minded windoze user.

>There's still a root password, but some twonk thought it would be good
>idea to prevent root logins working from the graphical login screen.
>You can still run a root shell via su or ssh BUT can't easily get a
>root desktop, which is often useful for the lesser-used maintenance
>tools.

I've no complaint of the philosophy of not running X as root.

>I really don't understand the reasoning behind this

It's meant to make it more difficult for the clueless luser to run
Linux as root. Remember, these are the same f00lz who run their
windoze box as 'administrator' because being restricted to a user
account gets in the way.

>especially as the classical two box (Name & Password) login has been
>unilaterally replaced with a graphical menu of user names. This
>REDUCES security

It's not meant as a security issue. These ``popular'' distributions
are aimed at the skill level of an icon clicker who is (in most cases)
lacking the skills to remember usernames. Heck, a neighbor showed me
his Vista desktop, and was proud to point out that there were no less
than four user icons you could select to log in - each one being a
different cute picture. Knowing his skill levels, I was able to
determine he had set the same password for all accounts - and true to
form it was one of the 86 passwords (well, 85 plus an empty one) that
the 'deloader worms (CERT Advisory CA-2003-08) was using to own a
large portion of the windoze world in March 2003.

>since now a cracker can pick a user name rather than having to guess
>both user name and password. This violates even basic security -
>forcing both items to be entered and then reporting a violation as
>"Invalid user/password combination" is much more secure than anything
>that confirms which one was wrong.

That implies physical presence, as by default X isn't listening over
the network. Physical access beats five aces, meaning anyone with
such access 0wn3Z that system.

>Last but not least, the 'shutdown' item is on all user menus rather
>than just root. At least they got rid of the old FC1 - F6 idiocy -
>that of putting a Shutdown button on the login screen.

Remember the skill level of the user these distributions are aimed at.
These distributions are optimized for the clueless home user who will
be using one of very few accounts, and only running the system a few
hours at a time. This isn't anything ``new'' to Linux. Maybe you've
forgotten how some systems were set up out of the box in the 1990s.

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

>Ideally all this (graphical login display method, graphical root login,
>logout on user menu) would all be configurable but isn't.

Actually, it sorta is. Merely choose a different distribution that is
not aimed/optimized for idiots. Last I looked at www.distrowatch.com,
their database listed over three _hundred_ active distributions.

Old guy
From: Chris Davies on
Moe Trin <ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid> wrote:
> It's meant to make it more difficult for the clueless luser to run
> Linux as root. Remember, these are the same f00lz who run their
> windoze box as 'administrator' because being restricted to a user
> account gets in the way.

Actually, I'd beg to differ. It is remarkably hard to run a Windows box as
a non-Administrator account when running certain software. Particularly
the Macromedia based stuff that insists on writing its runtimes to the
WINDOWS directory even if it's already there. Not using this software
isn't really an option, and I ended up writing DOS batch files that use
one of these sudo-like commands [*] to run the apps with administrator
rights while leaving my children's accounts unprivileged. (Can you say
gaping hole? I can. But my requirement was to try to reduce the risk of
unexpected infection from the Internet rather than locking down the box
from users.)

Chris

[*] CPAU, if anyone's remotely interested
From: Nix on
On 24 Apr 2010, Moe Trin spake thusly:
> These distributions are optimized for the clueless home user who will
> be using one of very few accounts, and only running the system a few
> hours at a time. This isn't anything ``new'' to Linux. Maybe you've
> forgotten how some systems were set up out of the box in the 1990s.
>
> # Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
> ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

What's wrong with that? On my desktop, I have

ca::ctrlaltdel:/usr/sbin/hibernate

and an acpid event script to trigger a graceful shutdown when the power
button is hit.

Obviously you don't want that on a server, but unless you're a telepath you
*will* have a desktop to which you will likely have physical access. You
can shut that machine down in numerous ways: giving you a nice easy way
to do it is not problematic.

From: Tom Anderson on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Geoff Clements wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Daniel James wrote:
>>
>>> In article <83dhkhFcm5U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Fp wrote:
>> WHY OH WHY does konsole not have a keyboard
>> shortcut for copying text,
>
> CTRL+SHIFT+C here on Konsole 2.3.3, oh and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste

Huh. I'll have to check what version we have - it seems to think paste is
shift-insert.

> but I find it much easier to highlight then middle click.

I never really got into the swing of that. Plus, doesn't help if you're
trying to cut and paste between a virtual machine and a local desktop,
where old-fashioned cut and paste (mostly) works.

tom

--
Is there any other type of youth worth having??? -- Ophelia, ufdm,
on misspent youth