From: FP on
On 22/04/2010 20:32, Theo Markettos wrote:
> Kevin Buzzard <buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>OK so that's all very nice. But I want my terminal. Under a standard
>>KDE install I'd have a little panel at the bottom and I could drag
>>a terminal icon to this panel and then click on it to get a terminal.
>>I found the terminal icon under "Accessories" and have managed to put
>>it in "Favourites", but whenever I fire it up it always starts up
>>full screen, and when I "unmaximise" it it goes to 80x30 instead
>>of 80x something smaller. Furthermore I can't seem to set scrollback to
>>infinity (well, maybe 10 million will have to do for now).
>

> The point of UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) is to make use of limited screen
> size on netbooks. When you only have 7" 800x480 to play with, many people
> are going to want apps maximised[1]. It's not really designed if you want
> to regularly have lots of apps onscreen at once. Probably better to install
> another window manager instead (just by installing a few more packages).

wot 'e said.

Except that you could just have taken the normal Gnome ubuntu 9.10
instead of the netbook remix (if you can stand Gnome). The netbook remix
is just the normal one with some redesign to help those of us with tiny
screens to cope, e.g. maximising everything and making the menu into the
big screen saver thingy that you describe.

> [1] Yes we managed with 320x256 CGA back in the day, but people now assume
> pixels are cheap... (I'm quite practised at tabbing to invisible buttons to
> submit dialogue boxes that are too big for my screen and have no scrollbar)

or alt + drag

>>Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
>>to a life of sudo?
>>I read on some web page "ubuntu has no root
>>and that's great because now you only need to remember one password
>>not two". If that's the reason there's no root, I'm not buying it!

Think you're right not to buy it, it sounds like an ex post facto
justification, but it does seem to be a ubuntu thing - all flavours. I
use sudo bash.

FP
From: Bernard Peek on
On 23/04/10 13:19, FP wrote:

>>> I read on some web page "ubuntu has no root
>>> and that's great because now you only need to remember one password
>>> not two". If that's the reason there's no root, I'm not buying it!

For newbies I think the sudo approach is the right one, and experienced
users can set the system up any way they want.

> Think you're right not to buy it, it sounds like an ex post facto
> justification, but it does seem to be a ubuntu thing - all flavours. I
> use sudo bash.

sudo -i

--
Bernard Peek
bap(a)shrdlu.com
From: Robert Billing on
We, the Senate of Arcturus, take note that FP said:

> Think you're right not to buy it, it sounds like an ex post facto
> justification, but it does seem to be a ubuntu thing - all flavours. I
> use sudo bash.

I don't think that's quite it. AFAIK Ubuntu *does* have root, but by
default root login is disabled, and the first user is on the sudoers list.
You can enable a root login and disable sudo to turn it into a "normal"
Linux system if you want.
From: Tom Anderson on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Chris Davies wrote:

> Kevin Buzzard <buzzard(a)ic.delete.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Second, I want root. I'm not sure I'm going to get it. Am I doomed
>> to a life of sudo?
>
> sudo -s
> sudo -H -s
> sudo -i

sudo bash

tom

--
CRESS AND CREATIVITY GET BUSY -- Barry
From: Kevin Buzzard on
Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:

> sudo -s
> sudo -H -s
> sudo -i

Thanks to Chris and all the other people pointing out the myriad
ways out of my dilemma. I had misunderstood---I somehow was
under the impression that root "wasn't even there".

Here's a ubuntu-remix-specific question. I have over the years
become very attached to xbiff, not just for email but for notifying
me of all sorts of things. I have an xbiff for "there is some stuff
for you to moderate at sci.math.research" and I used to have an xbiff for
"it's your move on an online game site" when I had time to play games,
and so on. I also have one for "you got mail", unsurprisingly. Because
everything is opening full screen, xbiff is not an ideal way to solve
this problem (the general problem is this: I have a script that notices
that something needs attention, and it writes to a file, and an xbiff
notices this and changes colour accordingly; I have a bewildering array
of coloured xbiffs!). How might one do this on ubuntu remix?

Is there a more appropriate forum for this sort of question, by the way?

Kevin
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Debian and netbooks