From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
mdr1024(a)gmail.com wrote:
> John H Meyers wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it was all the result of clever marketing research,
>> which might have found that serious geeks need to have
>> something which they must add themselves to complete the product,
>> the same as serious housewives felt unfulfilled unless they
>> could add in some additional essential ingredient, such as eggs,
>> which must therefore be left out of the pre-packaged cake mix
>> if you want to build a base of truly satisfied
>> (and involved) customers :)
>
> I am starting to see the power of this thing. I got tired of Expanding
> and Collecting my results to simplify them, so I assigned << EXPAND
> SIMPLIFY >> to the most useless key I could find: the HIST key (Up
> arrow does the same, no?).

Try the same in the Matrix editor or Equation Writer...
I suggest SYMB key instead since HIST is very useful

From: Yao Konan on
Ok its seems clearer.
With the announced TI-NSpire specs,it is clear that soon or late HP
will have to go toward those levels of hardware specs if they don't
want to be completely outdated.
Even if 128 MB seems a bit excessive for a student calculator.I would
rather see 64 MB of RAM if WinCE is the OS and more likely less if a
more efficient OS is used.
Though in a few years even those specs would seem low,wouldn't they ?

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:49:17 -0500:

> so I assigned << EXPAND SIMPLIFY >>
> to the most useless key I could find: the HIST key
> (Up arrow does the same, no?).

There's another feature, designed into the HP48 series
from its beginning, originally dedicated an entire main key,
which I also found sort of useless to begin with;
it's called CUSTOM (the CST key on HP48, now relegated
to a shifted function since it didn't become as popular
as it deserved to be).

You can create an entire menu of your own to assign
to this key (by storing the menu directly into
a variable named 'CST' or by using the MENU command,
which does the storing for you); with careful menu design,
you can even create the illusion of an entire
"nested menu" system within one menu, as illustrated
by this example accompanying the "XC" program
(which executes CAS commands so that variables
needn't be deleted nor flag settings changed),
in which a special function is provided along with XC
to alter any menu so that the XC program is applied
to every command in the menu
(which has *not* yet been done to the menu below):

%%HP: T(3)F(.); @ header for ascii file transfer
{
@ Page 1
{ "\|>CALC" \<< 1.02 MENU \>> }
{ "\|>SOLV" \<< 1.03 MENU \>> }
{ "\|>EXLN" \<< 1.04 MENU \>> }
{ "\|>TRIG" \<< 1.05 MENU \>> }
SIMPLIFY { "XC" \<< XC \>> }
@ Page 2
DERVX INTVX DERIV RISCH IBP
{ "\|>CAS" \<< 1.01 MENU \>> }
@ Page 3
SOLVEVX ZEROS SOLVE DESOLVE LINSOLVE
{ "\|>CAS" \<< 1.01 MENU \>> }
@ Page 4
EXPLN EXPM LIN LNCOLLECT LNP1
{ "\|>CAS" \<< 1.01 MENU \>> }
@ Page 5
{ "\|>CAS" \<< 1.01 MENU \>> }
ACOS2S ASIN2C ASIN2T ATAN2S HALFTAN
@ Page 6
SINCOS TAN2SC TAN2SC2 TCOLLECT TEXPAND TLIN
@ Page 7
TRIG TRIGCOS TRIGSIN TRIGTAN TSIMP
{ "\|>CAS" \<< 1.01 MENU \>> }
} MENU @ Caution: executing MENU will store into current 'CST'

The complete XC package:
http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=xc49

If we want to forego protection against the possibility of
having to delete variables (or of the CAS choosing the
wrong variable), and simply want to have our flag settings
automatically restored after every keyboard-initiated command,
then nothing as fancy as XC is needed; simply setting
flags -62 and -63 before an initial PUSH, then storing
\<< POP PUSH -120 SF DROP \>> into '\GbENTER' will do that for us,
although this can be made a bit faster and better
via a slightly longer program (to which I'd post a reference
if it weren't that Google Groups is down right now).

Best wishes from http://www.mum.edu
and http://www.maharishischooliowa.org
From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
John H Meyers wrote:

> flags -62 and -63 before an initial PUSH, then storing
> \<< POP PUSH -120 SF DROP \>> into '\GbENTER' will do that for us,
> although this can be made a bit faster and better
> via a slightly longer program (to which I'd post a reference
> if it weren't that Google Groups is down right now).

Waiting for the reference....
V-P

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:56:43 -0500, VPN wrote:

JHM:
[re automatically restoring flag settings after CAS activity]
> setting flags -62 and -63 before an initial PUSH, then storing
> \<< POP PUSH -120 SF DROP \>> into '\GbENTER' will do that for us,
> although this can be made a bit faster and better
> via a slightly longer program (to which I'd post a reference
> if it weren't that Google Groups is down right now).

VPN:
> Waiting for the reference....

Not only were you reading (and replying to everyone)
as it was being posted, but I bet you know
how to use Google search, too!
(e.g. for "POP PUSH DROP" all in one post)

At the present time, however:

Google - Error - Not Found
The requested URL
/sorry/?continue=http://groups.google.com/grphp%3Fhl%3Den%26tab%3Dwg%26q%3D
was not found on this server.

Even http://groups.google.com currently forwards
to http://www.google.com/sorry/?continue=http://groups.google.com/
and http://groups-beta.google.com does likewise.

It appears as if www.google.com/sorry was supposed to be
a general "try again in a moment" script,
but it's just as "gone with the wind"
as the entire "groups" archive :(

Do try a search for yourself when it comes back up,
or search on your own NNTP news server,
or phone Google and offer to fix their setup remotely,
for a tidy reward :)

[r->] [OFF]