From: Flasherly on
On Jul 28, 1:33 pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <barrel.f...(a)screwmail.com>
wrote:
> I haven't made any sense of the market for new monitors since I bought one
> back in 2006. Need a new, smallish one with speakers for limited desk-space.
> Will use it for garden-variety stuff (browsing, editing, Email, etc), very
> little graphics, no games.
>
> Max width on my desktop is about 18.5". New mobo has connectors for HDMI, DVI-
> D, VGA. If I get, say, a $130 monitor, I'll likely get speakers worth about
> $4.
>
> I can imagine paying maybe $200 for a pretty decent monitor with about
> $20-worth of speakers. Is anyone familiar with such a beast (or anything
> in that ballpark) in the current monitor market?
>
> Thx,
> Will

I got someone a 24.5 that has a HD teevee tuner. Toshiba, not so
shabby for $250 on sale. He's happy, tho I didn't mess with. Little
more and what I like is a 32". Speakers, I'd forget that -- none
are more than marginally adequate. I use 2 of a 4-ch soundcard on a
regular 100W amp, music, or the other 2 channels for the flatpannel
speakers and just movies. Got an old 19" Samsung that swivels
portrait -- $50 be a fair price, though I'd mark it $75-100 on a
build. Hardly any use and primo. Too bad it's my "trouble-shooting"
monitor -- can't have it :<
From: Wilfred Xavier Pickles on
On 28 Jul 2010 13:47:07 -0400, adykes(a)panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <7cq056li4kggedu5tuirdn2bv3lsn2pg9o(a)4ax.com>,
>Wilfred Xavier Pickles <barrel.full(a)screwmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>I haven't made any sense of the market for new monitors since I bought one
>>back in 2006. Need a new, smallish one with speakers for limited desk-space.
>>Will use it for garden-variety stuff (browsing, editing, Email, etc), very
>>little graphics, no games.
>>

>Newegg has LCD monitors down to 9 inch diaganol and a bunch of 17 inch
>devices. Give this URL a try.
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617+600030610&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Neat. I didn't know such degree of specificity was possible with Newegg search.
I tuned it to 19" and I've got a group of viable candidates.

Thanks,
Will
From: Wilfred Xavier Pickles on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:23:04 -0500, Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:

>Just a quick comparison of monitor dimensions, and why I think
>widescreens are a bummer in your situation.
>
>Assuming a maximum available width of 18.5", here's the size of monitors
>you can expect.
>
>5:4 aspect ratio, 19" monitor
>Width: 14.8"
>Height: 11.9"

Total area =~ 176.

>16:10 aspect ratio (widescreen), 20.1" monitor
>Width: 17.0"
>Height: 10.7"

Total area =~ 182.

>16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen), 20" monitor
>Width: 17.4"
>Height: 9.8"

Total area =~ 171.

>Dimensions are actual screen size, not including bezel. You can see
>that widescreens, in the same given space, are at least an inch shorter.
> For web browsing, where pages are generally much taller than they are
>wide, that's a bummer.

I agree.

>If you feel like you're stuck with widescreen, try to go for a 16:10
>monitor, if you can find one small enough to fit your limits.

It looks like there are many 20" at Recommended Resolution of 1600 x 900
at Newegg, but I'll see if I can't find a good, solid 5:4 old-style unit.

Much Thanks,
Will