From: Wilfred Xavier Pickles on

I haven't made any sense of the market for new monitors since I bought one
back in 2006. Need a new, smallish one with speakers for limited desk-space.
Will use it for garden-variety stuff (browsing, editing, Email, etc), very
little graphics, no games.

Max width on my desktop is about 18.5". New mobo has connectors for HDMI, DVI-
D, VGA. If I get, say, a $130 monitor, I'll likely get speakers worth about
$4.

I can imagine paying maybe $200 for a pretty decent monitor with about
$20-worth of speakers. Is anyone familiar with such a beast (or anything
in that ballpark) in the current monitor market?

Thx,
Will
From: Al Dykes on
In article <7cq056li4kggedu5tuirdn2bv3lsn2pg9o(a)4ax.com>,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles <barrel.full(a)screwmail.com> wrote:

>I haven't made any sense of the market for new monitors since I bought one
>back in 2006. Need a new, smallish one with speakers for limited desk-space.
>Will use it for garden-variety stuff (browsing, editing, Email, etc), very
>little graphics, no games.

Newegg has LCD monitors down to 9 inch diaganol and a bunch of 17 inch
devices. Give this URL a try.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617+600030610&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
--
Al Dykes

From: Grinder on
On 7/28/2010 12:33 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

> I haven't made any sense of the market for new monitors since I bought one
> back in 2006. Need a new, smallish one with speakers for limited desk-space.
> Will use it for garden-variety stuff (browsing, editing, Email, etc), very
> little graphics, no games.
>
> Max width on my desktop is about 18.5". New mobo has connectors for HDMI, DVI-
> D, VGA. If I get, say, a $130 monitor, I'll likely get speakers worth about
> $4.
>
> I can imagine paying maybe $200 for a pretty decent monitor with about
> $20-worth of speakers. Is anyone familiar with such a beast (or anything
> in that ballpark) in the current monitor market?

If width is your limiting factor, I would go for one of the few
remaining non-widescreen monitors out there. A 19" (5:4) monitor would
be about 16" wide if you presume 1/2" bezels. This looks like a good
budget candidate:

Hanns�G HH193DPB Black 19" 5ms LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254047
$130 + free shipping

I generally at least look at the Samsungs because I've been very happy
with them. In particular I liked their 19" 960BF, but I don't know if
you could still find that, or any 19" non-widescreen for that matter.
From: Grinder on
Just a quick comparison of monitor dimensions, and why I think
widescreens are a bummer in your situation.

Assuming a maximum available width of 18.5", here's the size of monitors
you can expect.

5:4 aspect ratio, 19" monitor
Width: 14.8"
Height: 11.9"

16:10 aspect ratio (widescreen), 20.1" monitor
Width: 17.0"
Height: 10.7"

16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen), 20" monitor
Width: 17.4"
Height: 9.8"

Dimensions are actual screen size, not including bezel. You can see
that widescreens, in the same given space, are at least an inch shorter.
For web browsing, where pages are generally much taller than they are
wide, that's a bummer.

If you feel like you're stuck with widescreen, try to go for a 16:10
monitor, if you can find one small enough to fit your limits.

From: Charlie Hoffpauir on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:23:04 -0500, Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com>
wrote:

>Just a quick comparison of monitor dimensions, and why I think
>widescreens are a bummer in your situation.
>
>Assuming a maximum available width of 18.5", here's the size of monitors
>you can expect.
>
>5:4 aspect ratio, 19" monitor
>Width: 14.8"
>Height: 11.9"
>
>16:10 aspect ratio (widescreen), 20.1" monitor
>Width: 17.0"
>Height: 10.7"
>
>16:9 aspect ratio (widescreen), 20" monitor
>Width: 17.4"
>Height: 9.8"
>
>Dimensions are actual screen size, not including bezel. You can see
>that widescreens, in the same given space, are at least an inch shorter.
> For web browsing, where pages are generally much taller than they are
>wide, that's a bummer.
>
>If you feel like you're stuck with widescreen, try to go for a 16:10
>monitor, if you can find one small enough to fit your limits.

Or, get one that will swivel to present a "portrait" aspect. I have
three that will do that; they happen to be all Samsung models, but I'm
sure there are many brands that do that.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson